They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New TVs.

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

New TVs.

Postby Bobby » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:39 pm

For a while now I have wanted to get one of the USB media player boxes such as the WD or Patriot units. But a secondary problem is that I am out of HDMI inputs on the TV (only 2) and would also need to get an HDMI switch box. So about $200+ expense.

I just installed a new Samsung "6" series TV for a neighbor. It has 4 HDMI, but also a USB input for flash drive or hard drive, and it looks like it does play a lot of stuff. I looked quickly through the video input specs, and it looked like it would play anything I would want to do in HD. I am going to run up a test and try it.

But the question is: Why get two external boxes and spend $200+ when I can get a newer and better TV and get it built-in?

BTW, very nice set. LCD/LED. Really great blacks (they advertise 3,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio) nice wide viewing angles and looked terrific even in high ambient light. It also does have a lot of Internet features, but I didn't get a chance to look into that yet.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: New TVs.

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:01 pm

There is another interesting development. HDTVs with wifi built in.
http://www.wirelesshd.org/
http://business-video.tmcnet.com/topics/business-video/articles/72417-vizio-demonstrates-portable-hdtv-with-celenos-wi-fi.htm
I always wondered about those add on media players - some of them have a wireless adapter available to plug into the usb port. Seems like wifi was an afterthought. Most people, even the few that wired their homes for Ethernet cabling, never thought about Ethernet to the TV. So wifi on the HDTV should be standard, right?
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Yes, WiFi should be standard, like on my Roku box for Netflix.

But if the TV has an Ethernet jack you can get a wireless "bridge" that will do the job. A bridge is the opposite of a wireless router or access point. The access point "receives" (although of course it is bidirectional) from the LAN wiring and "sends" radio waves. A bridge "receives" radio waves and "sends" Ethernet. So you could put a bridge by the TV and then connect its Ethernet cable to the TV.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Build - it - in! (cheaper, too)
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Bobby, you can pretty well ignore the contrast ratio specs from the manufacturers. That number is nearly meaningless because there's no standard, and there are quite a few different ways to express CR. Here's a paragraph I stole from About.com:

Also, don't get seduced by Contrast Ratio marketing hype. When checking contrast ratio numbers, look for Native, Static, or ANSI contrast, not Dynamic or Full On/Full Off contrast. ANSI contrast represents the difference between black and white when both are on the screen at the same time. Dynamic or Full ON/OFF contrast only measures black by itself and white by itself.

That's not to say that the TV you're interested in doesn't have a very good CR, though. In fact, it probably is excellent. They've come a long way with black levels in the past few years. The LCDs (even the LED backlight ones) still can't match the plasmas for black levels, but if you're using them in a higher ambient light situation they will look better than the plasma. Put a properly adjusted plasma in a dark room and it will win hands down.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Oh, I agree. I am a Plasma man all the way!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby moviemaker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:37 am

speaking of new tv's here is an upcoming tv tech, it is lpd technology,check out the link

http://newsblaze.com/story/201001120626 ... story.html
moviemaker

Return to Hi Def