They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

No blue-ray coasters

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Re: No blue-ray coasters

Postby chulaivet1966 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Good day luminaries....
I currently have an LG DVD burner which I use with Sony Movie Maker Platinum 9.0b package which does have the Blue Ray burn option.
I am also under the impression that many current DVD players also will play Blue Ray disks.

Well....I'm getting my feet wet in the personal movie making and had a question.

Based on my reading here one does need a dedicated Blue Ray burner....not just a generic DVD burner?

So...I guess I'm asking what I need to be aware of and what extra hardware may be necessary if I decide to get into the Blue Ray burning arena?

Excuse my ignorance....coffee anyone?....I'm buying.

Thanks in advance...
chulaivet1966
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Well, just so we're clear--

DVDs are standard definition video, 720x480 pixels. BluRays are hi-definition video, 1920x1080 -- over four times the resolution of DVDs. So they're two very different forms of media.

DVD players can't play BluRay discs. However, pretty much all BluRay players can also play DVDs.

If you plan to create BluRay discs, then, you should ensure you're working with hi-def video to begin with -- HDV or AVCHD camcorder footage, basically. There's no point in burning BluRays of standard definition video. It will just come out blurry-looking.

And, as with players, most burners are backwards compatible. So you can create both BluRay discs and DVDs with a BluRay burner. But you can't burn BluRay discs with a DVD burner.

Make sense?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby chulaivet1966 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:50 pm

Yes Steve....that makes sense and thanks again for chiming in.
Learneth, learneth for this neophyte.

Carry on...
chulaivet1966
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Generic DVD burners are not capable of burning Blu-Ray discs. They don't contain the necessary blue/violet laser -- DVD burners use RED lasers and CDs use infrared lasers. You will need a Blu-ray burner to burn Blu-ray discs. Blu-ray burners generally contain the other color lasers so they can also burn DVDs and CDs.

You can either replace your existing burner with a Blu-ray burner or you can add an additional internal or external Blu-ray burner. Your choice. Be careful when buying a Blu-ray burner that you are not buying a Blu-ray player and DVD burner combo. That will only let you play Blu-ray discs, not burn them.
Bob

Postby chulaivet1966 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Bob....thank you for your input.
All is helpful to me as I'm not the brightest bulb with any of this movie making jargon/knowledge.
Blue Ray is not on the plate for me and I still have plenty to learn with my Platinum 9.0b package for the remainder of my lifetime.

Carry on....
chulaivet1966
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Hi Def