They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Zune HD

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Zune HD

Postby UKPal » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:10 am

Not sure who else would be interested but as a Zune fan I certainly am!

The Zune HD available in 16GB (approx $220) and 32GB (approx $290) with 64GB rumoured to follow will support:

Windows Media Video (WMV) (.wmv) — Main and Simple Profile, CBR or VBR, up to 10.0 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). Advanced Profile up to L2, 1280x720 up to 30 frames per second, CBR or VBR, up to 14.0 Mbps peak video bitrate. Zune software will transcode HD WMV files above stated capabilities at device sync.

and...

MPEG-4 (MP4/M4V) (.mp4) Part 2 video[4] — Simple Profile up to 4.0 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). Zune software will transcode HD MPEG-4 files at device sync.

and...

H.264 video[4] — Baseline Profile + bframes, up to 10 Mbps peak video bit rate; 720 pixels x 480 pixels up to 30 frames per second (or 720 pixels x 576 pixels up to 25 frames per second). 1280x720 up to 30 frames per second, up to Level 3.1 and 14.0 Mbps peak video bitrate. Zune software will transcode HD WMV files above stated capabilities at device sync.
DVR-MS[5] — Zune software will transcode at time of sync.
DVR-MS[5] — Zune software will transcode at time of sync.

HD Video will be down-resed for the device but play it through the optional HD AV dock with HDMI out (approx $90) and you'll be able to play back HD (I thinkk it's 720p) on an HD screen.

I'm thinking that'll save me carting my BluRay player to friends' homes - hook up the Zune HD to their TV via HDMI and play my latest HD videos on screen.

Bad news for those outside the States is that the models are only being released there for the time being. I hope to pick one up when I'm in New York in September.

The other HD part of the equation is HD Radio which we certainly don't get here in the UK (I guess our equivalent in DAB).

I think it all looks rather promising, as well as rather gorgeous: http://www.zune.net/en-us/mp3players/zunehd/default.htm
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Zune HD

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:16 pm

Full, hi-def video from a portable video/audio player? Hmm, between that and Windows 7, Microsoft could be headed a very good direction in the coming months!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tiny » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Full, hi-def video from a portable video/audio player? Hmm, between that and Windows 7, Microsoft could be headed a very good direction in the coming months!

Agree. Microsoft is really turning things around. I like it.
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby UKPal » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:09 am

Goodness me! I'm sorry about the poor writing in my initial (and very rushed) post.

Anyway, a dealer in 'Zune imports' in the UK now has the Zune HD for pre-order:

http://news.zunethings.co.uk/

...sadly one has to pay a premium for it - but if anyone really fancies one, and isn't going to the US shortly, I guess it's an option.

There's also a very cool 'Grand Tour' video of the Zune HD interface by a member of the Zune team.

The dock that will enable HDMI and HD video out looks like it will be available shortly on the UK site as well.
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Hi Def