They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

WD TV-2 Coming

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

WD TV-2 Coming

Postby Bobby » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:46 am

It looks like WD's TV Media Player was quite popular, enough for them to come out with Version 2.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/16/wd-t ... -media-pl/
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: WD TV-2 Coming

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:01 am

I read the info at your link, and I also read the info on the original unit at the link provided in the article. I'm still not sure exactly how this is useful to the average person. Could you give an example or two of how this fills a need? Also, if I understand this correctly, could it be connected to a wireless access point for streaming, or would that not be fast enough? Would it have to be hard wired into a LAN for use on a network?

EDIT:
I found the unit on the WD site and answered the first part of my question about the use(s) of this device. What do you think about wireless?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:30 am

I don't have one (yet) so hard to discuss it factually. But I do have a Netflix Roku box to stream video via my wireless network and it seems to run very well. Netflix does have some HD content, but I believe that is 720p though...

The real use is as a replacement for Blu-Ray discs. Blu-Ray has been a terrible disappointment - not the quality, but the price. Players are astronomical (any name brand is about $230 on up), PC writers are expensive (about $175 now), but most importantly blank BD discs are about $10 A PIECE!

So many people are searching for a way to get their original HD content on their home TVs and that is what the WD box does. Instead of writing a BD, you can put the content on any USB hard drive, plug it into the WD, and play it on your TV. And it appears you can now stream directly from your PC with the newer version.

There is an analogy to musics CDs. People rarely use or buy CDs any more - they just buy files (mp3, etc.) and play them in the iPod - sometimes connected to their living room stereo. Analogously, you can now distribute video content via files (MPEG) and play with this WD player. CD is to Blu-Ray as iPod is to WD player.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Excellently written Bobby, and some very good points.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Excellently written Bobby, and some very good points.

Thanks. But it really ticks me off. It is almost a tradition in the electronics industry today that version N+1 is the same price as the previous version, and usually around the same price. Technology marches on, prices are the same or lower. That is how we got into today's throw away society - every six months there is a newer and better model at the same price.

Except for Blu-Ray. By now you should be able to get a player for around $100 and you should be able to get blank BDs for a buck or less. Something has gone horribly wrong.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Hi Def