They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HDMI Switch

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

HDMI Switch

Postby Bobby » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:13 am

Per some other threads, I am probably not going to go Blu-ray right now for HD content that I produce here. Getting one of the hard-drive-(or network)-to-HDMI boxes such as the Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player seems like the right way to go. But I am out of HDMI inputs on the TV and so I was thinking of an HDMI switch and I am looking for brand and model recommendations.

The unit has to have remote control capability so I can program it into my (can't live without) Harmony remote.

But one concern is audio. I like to run my audio through the main receiver even though it is only stereo right now. If I use a simple HDMI switch the audio would just play on the TV (i.e. the video and audio signals both carried by the HDMI cable). This would lead me to think that I need a new receiver with HDMI switching. There would be a single HDMI cable from the new box to the receiver, that could peel off the audio from there. But that means a new receiver and lots of additional expense.

Or I could just use a separate audio output from the box to the current receiver. Do those units have separate HDMI and digital audio output? It looks like the WD unit does have an optical audio out.

Ideas welcome...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: HDMI Switch

Postby Bobby » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:39 am

Bump - NObody has bought an HDMI switch????
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rfjg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 am

Have a look at this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2948180&CatId=3482 4 port switch with remote ,$50.

If your current receiver configuration has an open digital audio input (that matches the WD box, optical or coaxial), then you could run the audio from the WD box to your receiver. Then it would be a matter of switching the input on the HDMI switch and them switching the input on the receiver. Should be easy with a Harmony remote.

If not, then a new receiver such as http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9238942&type=product&id=1218065494188 $300, maybe the way to go.

Not sure what you have as a buget for this, HDMI switches can get very expensive (ie. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4282816&CatId=3482 ).
rfjg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:09 am

The problem with HDMI switching, either in an external switch box or via receiver, is that there is only one cable to the TV. That seems OK on the surface, but if there are subtle signal differences between the boxes being switch you would have to twiddle the TV settings each time as it believes there is only one input active. Yes, a smart remote can do that but it takes a bit of setup time while the IR codes are being exchanged, not to mention the mess on the screen.

I wish I had 3 HDMI inputs on the TV. Then I could devote one to my two primary sources - the DVD, the cable box, and switch the third to "other" such as the WD box, my Roku box, and the camcorder.

But I sure would like to hear the experiences of anyone who actually has one of these beasts. There are pitfalls that I have read about, such as switch boxes not correctly supporting the HDCP spec, etc.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rfjg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:40 am

I have a Sony receiver with HDMI switching, haven't had any issues with HDMI signals going through the receiver.

Not sure what you mean
"That seems OK on the surface, but if there are subtle signal differences between the boxes being switch you would have to twiddle the TV settings each time as it believes there is only one input active"

Are you talking about the color calibration for the HDMI input on the TV?

Looks like your preferred solution is a TV with more than one HDMI, most newer models seem to have 3 or 4. I guest its time to do a cost/benefit analysis.

Also, BestBuy, Costco, etc generally have no hassle return policies within 15~30 days. So if new TV is not an option, you could pickup a new receiver and try it out. If it doesn’t work the way you want, return it.
rfjg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:04 pm

In a perfect world, any correctly adjusted signal will look the same as any other correctly adjusted signal. Unfortunately, not so.

And some boxes have adjustments (picture, brightness, black level, etc.) and some don't. My cable box has no adjustment, nor does my Roku box. In those cases you would have to use the adjustments on the TV and if they are on the same input it usually wouldn't remember the settings (or remember the wrong or other one) so you have to re-adjust. Most TVs remember the settings on a particular input.

I have tweaked my DVD quite a bit to get the picture I liked.

A good alignment DVD helps, but I picked up a terrible piece of crap from Monster Cable last year and rarely use it. I need to get another one.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:12 pm

So I goes down to Best Buy, actually on another mission. Glad I had another mission.

There was not one HDMI switch there - manual or remote controlled.

The price on the WD box had gone back to $130. They had had it on sale for $99 for a while, but gone now. You can get for $99 anywhere on the 'net.

Oh well...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:15 pm

I have an HDMI switch since my TV has only one connector. Boy, was that short-sighted! It has been perhaps six months or so since I bought it and I think I just bought one of the cheapest ones. But then I don't have any special audio needs. The built-in HDTV speakers work well enough for us. It is quite small and has a tiny remote. Default input one is for the PVR, input two is for the HD-DVD player and input three is available for the camcorder. It was straight-forward for me. It just works. Biggest hassle was the extra wall-wort transformer that stays on all the time.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Hi Def