They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Blu-Ray Dead or Stillborn?

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Re: Blu-Ray Dead or Stillborn?

Postby Bobby » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Ken Jarstad wrote:...Bobby, I bought the Sony media player, SMP-N100 at Costco just before Christmas. I took it back just yesterday - very disappointing. Perhaps there is a better topic on the forum to talk about it...

There was a lot of chat about these about as year ago. At that time, there was a Western Digital unit, and the PBO, that seemed to be most popular. But those topics are probably pretty old now, so if you want to chat, open up a new topic.

What problems did you have with the Sony (hint: a good place to start the new topic).
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:55 pm

There have even been some firmware updates that effectively kill using any burned BD in some playback devices.

Ouch! Bill posted this back in 2009.

I had no idea! Is this the norm these days? If so, how difficult, expensive, etc., is it to hire disc printing by a 'real' manufacturer?
And how to find one?

thanks,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Google: 'professional disk printing'. I got 64 million hits. OR do you really mean disk duplicating?
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 pm

I don't know the difference.

I want to create educational videos and sell them. I thought I could burn the discs myself with my BluRay - DVD burner/player. If my potential customers' BluRay players are programmed to not play 'homestyle' discs, then I'm not as far down the planning road as I thought I was. #-o
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:09 pm

My understanding of disk printing is when a label is printed on the face of the disk. Disk duplicating is when a company burns video to multiple disks. There are companies that do both for you. Not cheap. You can google them.

Not sure about your statement "BluRay players are programmed to not play 'homestyle' discs". I have not found that to be true if you burn a Blue ray disk properly using Imgburn.

Since you want to do it as a business venture, why not get a blue ray burner and try it? You would probably have to do that anyway to test out your work. That would be your master that you give to the people that burn hundreds for you to sell. Do one and let your friends play it on their blue ray players and see if they have any problems. If you do it correctly, I'll wager 10 dollars that all will be OK and you will be a happy camper.

I would go the DVD route first however so you can get the experience of making disks that work. Once you get the hang of it go for blueray and DVD.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:57 pm

You can buy printers that will print on DVDs, very nice high quality graphics, inkjet printable.
I use an Epson printer for my wedding DVDs.

The home burned DVDs work fine in 95% of the DVD players out there these days, it was more of a problem 4 -5 years ago. As long as the DVD is burned at a slower speed there isn't anything to worry about, they will play on just about any equipment :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:35 pm

printing vs duplicating

I see. I was thinking of disc 'printing' as having 'professionally created' as in book publishing. Sorry I used the wrong term.

I do have a small Epson printer that is supposed to be able to print on 'printable DVD discs'. I haven't tried it out yet, but it makes great prints as long as the paper's printable side is placed face down in the tray!

Good to hear that instead of blocking home burned discs the industry has been working towards making them more likely to play.

Thanks, guys!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Uncle Ben » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 am

Lightscribe printing directly onto DVDs works much better than sticky labels which can get dislodged at times and ruin a DVD player. That happened to me once on the boat and had to replace the whole unit. I can be wrong but I don't think Lightscribe functionality is available yet on Blu-ray; so if your intention is to produce on that medium, make sure you pick the very best quality labels.

I would not worry too much about people not being able to play a DVD/Blu-ray, as most blu-ray players today are pretty versatile and will accept just about any format. If not, one can always convert the video to a compatible format.

I would certainly not go to a third party so called "professional," unless you're planning on achieving sales in the 1000s, which would allow you to leverage the cost. My youngest nephew has been producing his own music for years, selling 20 to 30 CDs/month at times ... all homemade. At $20 a disc, he nets $19 on every sale! Not enough to quit his day job ... but enough for him to continue to have fun and create some pocket change at the same time.

Cheers!
Uncle Ben

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 am

Don't ever use the sticky labels for CDs or DVDs, they are terrible. Inkjet printables are amazing and fast to print, Lightscribe discs are much slower to produce and they lack the color that inkjet provides.
I have and do use both depending on the project but prefer the inkjet printables.

They make inkjet printable blu ray but I have not seen lightscribe blu ray discs yet.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Uncle Ben » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Any smearing issues Chuck with inkjet printables, even if just a droplet of liquid happens to fall on the disc? I never an inkjet printer for disc labelling but did have all sorts of smearing issues with inkjet printed documents.
Uncle Ben

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

There are discs that help to prevent smearing, and inks are much better than they were a few years ago.
Still, if the discs get wet the ink can smear. However, I have never had a problem as I tend to keep them away from water :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Yes, discs made at home are exactly what I'm trying to do - I just want them to be 'professional' in appearance and functionality. (Yes, obsessive-compulsive. I freely admit it, lol.)

I've heard about not using stuck on labels.

My Epson, an "Artisan" something or another, uses archival ink. Usually printers which use archival ink are also at least water resistant but since I hope to sell discs on watercolor painting, I'll run some tests to see how water resistant they are.

I kinow water proof-resistant prints can be made. I've had several Epson printers over the years. Back during the days when I used to visit the homes of potential portrait clients I would take 8x10 photo prints of my paintings with me. When they were 'real' photographs, water would ruin them. With at least some of the Epson prints, (I"m no longer sure from which printer) water was no problem as I learned when mothers would allow their children to pick up my prints with sticky fingers, drool on them, etc.

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Some people have used a couple of light coats of clear lacquer on printed discs to waterproof them.

There is a brand of disc that has a "Watershield" line, but I think that Bobby, who might chime in here, has not had much success with them as I recall.
Peru

Postby Uncle Ben » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Just to be clear, I had the problem with stuck-on labels coming off ONLY once, and that was after the disc had been left in the player, on the boat, in full sun, at 90 degrees plus temperatures. But I also had a few instances where the disc would simply not go in the slot, because of the added thickness caused by the label. Not all stuck-on label are made equal, and some player are very finicky and will not accept anything other than a cd/dvd.

I still think that Lightscribe labelling, albeit slow and colourless, is the best. Laser-etched graphics never smear, wet or dry. While colour is nice, a sharp monochrome label conveys a touch of class IMHO.
Uncle Ben

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:45 am

My twopennyworth to this discussion...... :-D

The major problem with stick on printed labels isn't so much the fact that they might come off. It is more to do with the fact that over time they can cause the disc to warp/distort and so not play properly.

As Chuck says, printable discs are better than stick on labelling and I use these exclusively for my work - either Verbatim or Tao Yuden (sp). I have also used Lightscribe but found the resulting images not to my liking.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

PreviousNext

Return to Hi Def