They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Comparing HDDVDs Burned from m2t and mpeg2 Files

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Re: Comparing HDDVDs Burned from m2t and mpeg2 Files

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 am

RJ Johnston wrote:The MPEG2 that you get when you go File>export>Movie from an AVCHD project in PRemire Elements can't be smart-rendered when trying to create a Blu-ray disc in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9, Magix Movie Edit Pro 14+, or Nero 8 Vision. If on the otherhand you export by going Share > Personal Computer > MPEG > Mpeg2 1440x1080i, then that can be smart-rendered in Nero Vison to burn a Blu-ray disc (both audio and video 100% smart-rendered).

RJ, what is the specific difference between the two methods of exporting the PRE7 Timeline that makes the File>Export>Movie method less desirable, in terms of smart rendering later, than using the Share tab?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:58 am

RJ, what is the specific difference between the two methods of exporting the PRE7 Timeline that makes the File>Export>Movie method less desirable, in terms of smart rendering later, than using the Share tab?

I don't know what the specific difference is. All I know is that Nero wouldn't smart render the one from File > Export > Movie. Nero doesn't tell you specifically why it doesn't smart render.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:03 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:The MPEG2 that you get when you go File>export>Movie from an AVCHD project in PRemire Elements can't be smart-rendered when trying to create a Blu-ray disc in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9, Magix Movie Edit Pro 14+, or Nero 8 Vision. If on the otherhand you export by going Share > Personal Computer > MPEG > Mpeg2 1440x1080i, then that can be smart-rendered in Nero Vison to burn a Blu-ray disc (both audio and video 100% smart-rendered).

RJ, when I click Share>MPEG>MPEG2 1440x1080i 30>Advanced, I am informed that the Video Codec is MainConcept MPEG Video. I modify the default, as follows: I increase the Video Quality from 4 to 5; I change the Video Bitrate Encoding from VBR, 1 Pass to VBR, 2 Pass. This customization eliminates the red frames that I would see when I would import the exported HD MPEG2 file into a new PRE7 project for the purpose burning my Blu-ray DVD. To my eyes, the resulting Blu-ray disc looks as good as what I get when I burn the Blu-ray directly from the PRE7 m2t Timeline that I've just finished editing.

Here is my question: I am already planning to purchase Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 for $95, including shipping, because of the "goodies" that are included, especially the 1,001 sound effects. Do I understand you correctly that, if I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 to "smart render" my HD MPEG2 files when burning a Blu-ray DVD, the resulting Blu-ray disc may be of even higher quality than I am currently getting with the above method? Would Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 also allow me to create a DVD Menu, which I am able to do from the PRE7 Timeline? (Under Features, the web site states: "Menu-based and single movie DVD creation," however the blurb for the Pro 8 Version, which includes DVD Architect Pro 5, states more specifically, "With the Vegas Pro 8 collection you can burn a Blu-ray Disc directly from the timeline or use the included DVD Architect Pro software to author a Blu-ray Disc complete with menus, buttons, and custom navigation.")
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:33 pm

George, the MPEG-2 "blu-ray" files that you are exporting cannot be smart rendered by Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9. As I said in another thread, Nero 8 Vision will smart encode the files that you have been exporting by Share > Personal Computer > MPEG.

I even tried creating a blu-ray disc in Sony DVD Architect Pro 5.0a, but the files were recompressed, not smart rendered.

Instead of going from VBR 1-pass to VBR 2-pass, try CBR instead. That is the method used when you export going File > Export > Movie.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:11 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:George, the MPEG-2 "blu-ray" files that you are exporting cannot be smart rendered by Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9. As I said in another thread, Nero 8 Vision will smart encode the files that you have been exporting by Share > Personal Computer > MPEG.

I even tried creating a blu-ray disc in Sony DVD Architect Pro 5.0a, but the files were recompressed, not smart rendered.

Instead of going from VBR 1-pass to VBR 2-pass, try CBR instead. That is the method used when you export going File > Export > Movie.

Okay, thanks, I will try Nero 8, which I previously paid for but never downloaded after reading that it may "lock on" to my burner and thereby prevent me from using the burner with PRE. You have not had this problem?

Thanks for your help!
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:30 pm

George Tyndall wrote:Okay, thanks, I will try Nero 8, which I previously paid for but never downloaded after reading that it may "lock on" to my burner and thereby prevent me from using the burner with PRE. You have not had this problem?

I haven't had Nero lock my burner. When I install Nero, I install everything except for the InCD packet writing module (which is not installed by default), nor BackItUp. After installation, I go into Administrative Tools (in Control Panel) and run Services. For NMIndexingService, I set the Startup Type to "Disabled."
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:04 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:
George Tyndall wrote:Okay, thanks, I will try Nero 8, which I previously paid for but never downloaded after reading that it may "lock on" to my burner and thereby prevent me from using the burner with PRE. You have not had this problem?

I haven't had Nero lock my burner. When I install Nero, I install everything except for the InCD packet writing module (which is not installed by default), nor BackItUp. After installation, I go into Administrative Tools (in Control Panel) and run Services. For NMIndexingService, I set the Startup Type to "Disabled."

Thank you very much for the detailed response, RJ. I will try that tonight when I am at the studio.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Robert,

It's good to know that Nero no longer defaults to a full module install. I guess that they took enough heat from the Adobe community.

I have it on my workstation (do not recall the version now), and with the Custom install, have never had an issue. So far, Adobe programs and the "scaled back" Nero play nice together. Thanks for updating me on Nero. It'll save a lot of typing out warnings and the like, when people install it on a machine with Adobbe.

Appreciated,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Hi Def