They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New LCD TV

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

New LCD TV

Postby Wheat King » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi all, We recently got a great deal on a 22" Samsung LCD monitor. My goal is to take advantage of the TV in our Office/Den to connect 2 computers to the tv to extend desktops. I'm hoping to get some input on the best way to do this. The 2 computers are:
my wife's Laptop (she would like to extend her viewing space to the TV when she looking at pictures and doing certain tasks)
My computer that I would like to extend my desktop (for when working with Photoshop and Premiere elements)
I also have a work laptop that I don't need to extend the desktop on but I currently have it hooked up with a KVM switch so I can take advantage of my Dell monitor.

Here's what I'm working with:
My video Card is dual (VGA and DVI) It also has s video
I have a Dell monitor that is currently using the DVI port. The VGA port is linked into a KVM switch that lets me use the monitor for my work laptop.
My wife has a dell laptop that she also want to use to extend her desktop. She has a VGA port

The LCD TV has
PC In (VGA)
HDMI/DVI IN
AV IN / S Video
Component IN

Any help or pointers in the right direction is there a product out there that does this kind of thing? I'm sure I could figure it all out with cables, adapters and switches but I'm curious if there's other things that I could look at.

Thanks all!
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: New LCD TV

Postby Bobby » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:48 pm

I would think a standard KVM switch should switch the monitor; whether it is attached to the primary or secondary port of a particular PC shouldn't matter.

Your biggest challenge would be what type of KVM switch - VGA or DVI. You might be better of going with VGA for all and getting a DVI to VGA adapter for the DVI ports.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Hi Def