They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Settings for HD on vimeo

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Settings for HD on vimeo

Postby UKPal » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:05 am

Hi all,

I've been looking to create a wmv hd file for uploading to vimeo (creating it in PreEl4). There are a wealth of customisable settings, of course that left me baffled in my attempts to create the best possible looking film for upload.

On looking at the faq on vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/help/hd

There is a handy, (if you use Quicktime on a Mac) guide to what vimeo thinks is optimum settings for converting from "phenomenally high quality to just amazingly high quality" (bearing in mind uploaded file limits).

When switching from creating a wmv hd to H.264 as per the example, PreEl4 gives a different set (in some instances) of variables and I wondered if anyone could interpret the Quicktime settings they give and give me the Premiere Elements equivalent. I see the easy things like audio bitrate and keyframe every 30 seconds settings in PreEl4 and have applied those but am having trouble locating the "data rate" setting (they recommend a bit rate at 3000-5000 kbits/sec).

Also, there are other PreEl4 settings that could be applied....I just wonder if they should be applied!?

Does anyone have any ideas or can point me in the right direction? I'm happy with H.264 OR wmv hd, I just need to know that the HD file I create is as good as I can make it for showing off on vimeo....

Any help gratefully received.

UKPal
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Settings for HD on vimeo

Postby Paul LS » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:27 pm

It depends on your file size limit... in the link I think it said you could load 500MB. So the quality you set will be dependant on the size of file you want to upload and the length of the clip.

I imagine either WMV or H.264 would be good. Not at my editing computer at the meoment so not sure where the bit rate is set.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby UKPal » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:34 am

Hi Paul - thanks for picking up on this one. I can see your point about the duration being all important to fit the movie within the weekly vimeo upload limit of 500MB. I was actually thinking about things the other way around and wondering if one replicates the settings in the vimeo faq what duration movie would result in being <500MB? Trial and error would be required, for sure but those PreEl4 settings are all-important to at least get me close to optimising my clip.

The other answer is 5 minutes! That's the HD movie I'm working on now that I'd like to upload.

UKPal
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:40 am

Have you tried the H.264 1080i 25 export from PE4? You can go to Share, Personal Computer and select MPEG. There you can find H.264, if you go into Advanced you can set the bit rate to that recommended. By going to Preset and selecting Custom you can set the frame size to 1280x720.

As you say you would need to export your 5 minute video at different bit rates to determine what size the resultant movie would be.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby UKPal » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:08 pm

Paul LS: Have you tried the H.264 1080i 25 export from PE4?

No, I hadn't! But I have now and I'm busy experimenting using your suggestion. Thanks.
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Hi Def