They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help! Still Confused About Hi-Def

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Re: Help! Still Confused About Hi-Def

Postby Paul LS » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:11 am

The HD WMV DVD will not play back on set top DVD or Bluray players. A HD-DVD or AVCHD Bluray burnt to standard DVD will play back on HD or Bluray players.

The HD WMV DVD will play in Windows Media Player or Media Center on a computer connected to a high definition monitor or HDTV. They will play with menu for navigation.

The resolution that the HD WMV DVD will play at on a computer and monitor will depend on the monitor resolution. For example I have a 22" widescreen monitor with a resolution of 1680x1050... therefore a 1280x720 HD WMV DVD would play at the full 1280x720 resolution and can be scaled it to fit the screen. A 1920x1080 HD WMV DVD would be scaled down to fit the screen.

The HD WMV DVD would play in your Media Center PC and if connected to your HDTV it would play back at the high definition resolution of the HD WMV and be scaled to fit the screen. So I play them on my home theater PC connected to my HDTV via HDMI connection.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Help! Still Confused About Hi-Def

Postby Briantho » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:43 pm

I had a careful look at a couple of clips of mine using all the different options available under "Field Options". Both were Mpegs which I had dragged onto the timeline and from which I created a DVD which I watched on a normal TV. The first clip was of a static scene with someone running across and the second was a full screen panning across a mountain.

I marked my perceptions from 1 = really bad juddering through to 5 = as far as I can see it's as good as the original footage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Clip 1----------Clip 2
Reverse Field Dominance OFF - No Option....................................2----------------2
Reverse Field Dominance OFF - Interlace Consecutive Frames ............5----------------5
Reverse Field Dominance OFF - Always deinterlace..........................3----------------3
Reverse Field Dominance OFF - Flicker Removal.............................5----------------4

Reverse Field Dominance ON - No Option.....................................2----------------2
Reverse Field Dominance ON - Interlace Consecutive Frames..............2----------------1
Reverse Field Dominance ON - Always deinterlace...........................3----------------3
Reverse Field Dominance ON - Flicker Removal..............................5----------------4

I stress that these are just my impressions. I wonder if the above is reasonable and for mpegs maybe I could always rely on "Reverse Field Dominance OFF - Interlace Consecutive Frames"?
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Previous

Return to Hi Def