They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

[PE3] Sony HDR-HC7

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

[PE3] Sony HDR-HC7

Postby ksnielsen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:33 am

Hi-

When I try to capture video from my new camcorder (Sondy HDR-HC7) PE3 sees that the camera is online and when I click capture, it makes the tape run, but when the tape is done, PE says no frames were captured.

I thought for my first project I would have the camcorder convert from HD to SD and I have my project set at 16:9.

Can someone give me some guideance. I am sure I just don't hve something set up correctly on the camcorder.

Thanks, Karen
Karen
ksnielsen

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:39 am

Hi Karen,
Was the footage shot in 16:9? What version of Premiere Elements are you using?
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:47 am

Do you have the camcorder set up to down-convert to DV-AVI. You need to set the "I-Link Conversion" to ON in the camcorder, and the format set to DV... if I recall correctly. You need to read the manual in detail to ensure all settings are correct.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

[PE3] Sondy HDR-HC7

Postby ksnielsen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:01 am

Chuck- I think this camcorder only shoots in 16:9. I am using PE3 with XP.

Paul-I have the DV-AVI set to down convert. I will have to check the I-Link conversion, thought I had that on too. I know I have the format set to DV. I will check it all again when I get home. I have been trying to go through the manual but it isn't all that clear. Thanks for the help and I will check this out tonight and get back to you.
Karen
ksnielsen

Postby ksnielsen » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:26 am

I must not have had the iLink conversion turned on. I went into the guide and changed it. Now everything works great! I even burned a DVD to compare to video capturued with my Hi8 Sony. What a difference! I am so excited! Can't wait to start my next project.
Karen
ksnielsen

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:21 am

Yippee! Good call Paul :)
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Upgrading my camcorder

Postby Judy » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:14 pm

Greetings,

I am contemplating upgrading my camcorder. I currently have the Sony TRV900, which works just great, but feels so heavy compared to some of the newer ones (the weight becomes an issue when traveling). I was looking at the Sony HDR-HC7 and was wondering how it was working out for you, now that you've had it for a while.

We are contemplating a trip to India in January, and an HD camcorder would be fun to have on the trip. How is its low light performance? Does it work well with Premier Elements 3? I see it records in AVHCD format, is that a problem?

Thanks!

Judy
Judy

Postby Paul LS » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:03 pm

The HC7 records in HDV format not AVCHD. PE3 natively handles HDV but it wont work at all with AVCHD. So HC7 would be a good choice, also the low light capability of the camcorder is good. Another option would be the Canon HV20, again a HDV camcorder. Personally I would stay away from AVCHD as it is highly compressed and requires a lot of processing power.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Sony HDR-HC7

Postby Judy » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:42 pm

Hi Paul,

It sounds like a good recommendation. I was reading the reviews on camcorderinfo.com and I think they liked the Canon a little better than the Sony.

I'd be really interested in people's experiences with both machines. I tend to keep equipment for a long time. Mini-DV has some advantages (stability for one) over the HDD camcorders. I'd hate to be relying on an HDD camcorder and have the hard drive fail. If they made them so you could merely swap out the hard drives (like a cartridge) I might be more trusting.

Judy
Judy

Postby ksnielsen » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:51 am

Hi Judy-

I really like my Sony HDR-HC7. The quality is great but I am comparing to my Hi-8 camcorder. It is light weight and easy to use. I just ordered a Rode SVM and it should be here today! Can't wait to play with it. Good luck on choosing a new camcorder. I never looked at the Canon one. It came out after I had purchase mine.

Karen
Karen
ksnielsen

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:10 am

camcorderinfo cites the HV20 on having a plastic feel and not seeming as well constructed as the Sony.

I have picked up the unit many times at the local store, but each time I put it down again. It really does feel cheap. If it felt better, I would have bought it. Surely an inaccurate and superficial decision, but you have to go with your gut.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Sony HDR-HC7

Postby Judy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:09 am

Yes, I saw that comment on camcorderinfo.com. I don't think I'd buy something without holding it and making sure. Overall, if you read the user reviews on Amazon, for example, people seem to like it...but then again, they've already bought it!

If we do the culinary tour of India in January, I'd sure like to have an HD camcorder (lightweight and smaller than the TRV900 that I currently own) to travel with me.

Judy
Judy

Postby Bob D » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:32 pm

I agree with Bob's comments. I too was looking at new camcorders recently. I have had great quality experiences with Canon, but when I tried the HV20 at the store I couldn't use the zoom function easily with the way it was placed. I tried the Sony and it works better for my grip.
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby lisa stocker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:41 pm

if anyone has a cannon hv20 i would be really interested in getting their feedback

my husband is looking at this one as our next purchase and i told him to stick with dv because of course he'll want me to edit it

we have an hd tv and dvd player so it has to be an hd camcorder
lisa stocker

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:32 pm

Lisa, I agree that you want an HD camcorder if your TV is HD capable. The problem is that you will just be playing the HD using the direct connection (hopefully HDMI) from the camcorder to the TV.

When you edit the video, you will have no way to output to an HD DVD. You may be an early HD DVD drive adopter, and have one in your PC, but I don't think PE3 supports HD yet. Well, I suppose you could output back to HD-DV tape, but you would still need software to support it.

That is why I am dragging my heels on all of this, until everything is HD capable.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Hi Def