They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Re: Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD

Postby Gooder » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:06 am

Dual format machines are underway but they are expensive.
The price will drop like most hardware does but this will take time :)

LG has a dual format machine model BH100, also called "The Super Multi Blue! It will also play standard DVDS! Price is around $1,200.
Samsung has a model underway, The Duo HD player (BD-UP5000). Not sure if this model will play standard DVDS though!

No exact date for when these models are to be released but I would guess halfway through 2008!

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:48 am

Steve Grisetti wrote: Play hi-def video-on-demand and avoid the whole hi=def DVD game completely.

You make a very intersting point there Steve. I agree with you that video-on-demand is coming which, if we are correct, leaves a time limited window for these new generation players to achieve market saturation.

The longer the format war continues, the longer Joe Public will hang back and so the window of opportuinity continues to steadily close.

If this situation prevails, what happens to any home video on high-def media? Simple, use your PC to play it on your TV.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby mark hansen » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:14 pm

I was watching a few Disney movies over the holidays and they mentioned available on Blue ray... didn't mentioned HD DVD. Wonder if they are going the Blue Ray way...
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:47 pm

And did you see this?
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/1 ... technology

Looks like Adobe picked the right format for hi-def DVDs!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:24 am

I was wondering about what I was hearing...... Even though the BD system costs more now, it is a good thing to see this stalemate coming to an end. Now we need volume....... and lower prices. \:D/
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:21 am

Interesting point in that NY Times article.

Now that 32Gb cards are here, and possibly higher density cards on the way, why go down the 'silver disc' route whatever the recording format.

Solid state small format cards sound a lot better.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby kodebuster » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:16 pm

As the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD battle continues to rage, I was at a loss at what made sense when I purchased my HD-TV in early 2007.

After reading a few articles one stuck out in my mind on what I thought was a sensible alternative while we all wait for the final vote to be cast. The recommendation was to "NOT DECIDE" on a personal or purchase level at this time, but to persue a viable alternative in the short term.

So, I purchased a decent up-converting DVD player (JVC) that would take standard NTSC and morph it into 1080p (which was the highest format that my HD-TV would support).

I am very impressed with what this player will do with standard commercial DVD content on my HD-TV. The display quality is nothing short of incredable (when compared to the old analog output). Also, NTSC DVD content generated via PE4 for video and slideshows was very, very, very good. Quite honestly, my PE4 generated content and commercial DVD's display and play so well with this setup, I'm in NO rush to move to a pure HD content format.

Now lets put this into perspective, IS IT as great as pure Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for what this brings to the table, absolutely NOT, but I will tell you all that this up-converting technology is damn impressive, and a perfect short term alternative.

Also, the real upside for me was that I was able to take my entire existing DVD library and and play it in HD at a minimal cost point, and with no aggravating downside...
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage
PE7, Vista-64, Sony DCR-DVD305 (MiniDVD)

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:48 pm

I'll second that notion!
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sbfowler » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:31 pm

I like your idea very much, kodebuster. Very good upside, with no downside. I would like to move to hi-def, but wasn't sure what the best route was. Yours looks like a very good approach =D>

Regards,

Steve
sbfowler
New User
New User

Postby kodebuster » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:36 pm

So, I purchased a decent up-converting DVD player (JVC)

This was a typo, I got so much equipment laying around that I'm losing track of the brand names... :drunken:

The up-converter I have is made by Samsung (Model # ~ DVD-HD960). It has every conceiveable jack and output plug you could desire (including HDMI).

At the time of purchase, I think I paid around $125 via the web, and worth every penny.

Over the Xmas holiday I did see some DVD up-converters selling for as low $49 bucks (Best Buy & Circuit City).

Again, I can't stress how great NTSC PE4 slideshows play in Hi-Def with this setup (on a 42 inch, Mitsubishi 1080p TV).

The display quality is mind boggling...
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage
PE7, Vista-64, Sony DCR-DVD305 (MiniDVD)

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:25 pm

Just got an advertisement from Tiger-Direct in my in-box. Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD players are on sale for only $129.99 Do you think they are starting to give them away?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3304908&sku=T24-9148&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1543BY
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:27 am

Ken Jarstad wrote: Do you think they are starting to give them away?

If Blu-Ray has won, they might have to ... :lol:
Bob

More Fuel to Blue Ray

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:01 am

Hey, this in from Reuters:

Toshiba cuts HD player prices in Blu-ray fight

Reuters
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Consumer electronics maker Toshiba Corp said on Monday it is slashing prices of its HD DVD format players by between 40 to 50 percent as major Hollywood studios move to embrace Sony Corp's Blu-ray format high definition DVDs.

Toshiba America Consumer Products said it cut prices of its HD DVD players effective January 13 to boost market adoption of its next-generation DVD players by mainstream consumers after what it said was a successful fourth quarter in unit sales.

"While price is one of the consideration elements for the early adopter, it is a deal-breaker for the mainstream consumer," said Toshiba executive Yoshi Uchiyama in a statement.

Toshiba's players will now start as low as $149 going up to $399 for the top-of-range player.

The company said it is also stepping up its marketing drive with major initiatives including joint advertising campaigns with studios and extended pricing strategies. Toshiba said it will continue with on-going promotions including five HD DVD titles for free with any of its HD DVD player.

The battle to dominate the next generation of DVD players appeared to have tipped in Sony's favor earlier this month when the biggest Hollywood studio Warner Bros, a unit of Time Warner Inc , said it would exclusively support Blu-ray disc. It had previously supported both next-generation formats.

Analysts saw Warner Bros's move as an end to the next generation DVD war that they say has confused consumers and delayed the development of a multibillion-dollar market.

So far Toshiba has secured agreements with studios including Universal Home Video, Viacom Inc's Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG.

But Blu-ray has support from News Corp's 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Co and Lions Gate Entertainment Corp . In addition Sony's PlayStation 3 video game system can play Blu-ray movies while Microsoft Corp's Xbox 360 works with HD DVD. But Microsoft said at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this month that it could consider supporting Blu-ray technology should consumers want it.
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:53 pm

As the originator of the first thread in this section a year ago, I am certainly pleased to see that (I believe) the format wars are finally over. I do believe that HD-DVD will throw in the towel now.

Too bad. The industry lost precious momentum, not to mention almost two years of potential sales, both players and disks. The war or its resolution will not stall the technology after Blu-Ray, and so basically Blu-Ray just lost two years of life.

Yes, I have been doing the upconvert thing all this past year, with excellent results. Obviously the HD stuff is going to look better, but that is only a matter of resolution. The lack of noise, contrast, color, etc. is still good - ditto for the audio. And, of course, what you are showing it on counts. My 42" plasma is only 1080i, but still looks pretty good. And it is only 768 vertical.

So I will be spending some bucks in the future, but not the near future. Now to wait for the price to come down - after all, we have waited all these months anyhow!

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:20 am

HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext