They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD

Postby sbfowler » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:20 pm

sbfowler
New User
New User

Re: Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:59 pm

Nice article, Steve.

This, like the Beta/VHS wars, looks like, once again, the winner will be the one who delivers the best and most content.

It's too bad all format wars can't be decided as easily as the DVD+R/DVD-R wars, in which ultimately both formats became the standard!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:12 pm

Yes I have been following the format war. I was (still am) hoping that HD DVD would win as I produce high definition videos in the HD DVD format on standard DVDs. I dont think it is quite over yet, but utimately the the studio's will decide, Paramount (if I recall) sided with HD DVD just before Christmas. To be honest I dont mind who wins as long as it is finally "decided" and prices begin to drop.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:51 pm

So even though the Blu-ray hardware has been more expensive, "Blu-ray titles have sharply outsold HD DVD offerings – by as much 2 to 1." I know there are a number of reasons, but does anybody think that at least some part of the success of Blu-ray is due to it having a sexier name? To me, the marketing folks who came up with "Blu-ray" are heads above those who decided on "HD-DVD." What do you think?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:33 pm

I might think the opposite would be true, Dave.

If you don't know anything about hi-def and you walk into Best Buy, you can probably guess that HD-DVD is hi-def DVD but, unless you're hip to the lingo, who knows what BluRay is?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:02 am

I guess that's my point. If you don't know anything about high def except that HD-DVD and Blu-ray are "better" DVD formats, Blu-ray might be more attractive. It's an unscientific hypothesis, but I think that's how the general public works.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:39 am

Personally. I really don't mind which format prevails. I just wish the issue would be settled so that me, and others like me of whom I suspect there are many, can buy the hardware in the confident knowledge that we have not bought the technology that lost the race.

As long as doubt about the prevailing format remains, my hard earned cash is staying in my pocket, but the article gives a blu-ray of hope :???: that the end might be nigh.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:46 am

Haha...good one. I agree. With commercial videos being released in high def formats and a high def TV sitting in my living room, I'm ready to start shopping, but not until the war is over.

Dave McElderry

Postby Bob D » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:27 am

My 18 yr old son wants Blu-ray to win because it sounds cooler! Chalk one for marketing.

I'm with everyone else... pick a standard and let's get on with it!
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Sony's record at pioneering formats (Beta, Digital8) hasn't been good -- but I, too, wish them luck with this one.

Maybe, since they now own Columbia and TriStar Pictures and their subsidiaries, and have the cooperation of other studios, this time they will.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jeffterm » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:55 pm

After spending the better part of the last three months trying to talk myself into buying either/or for Christmas, digging, reading, comparing everything from guessed quality, user feedback from forums, how often firmware updates solve problems, finding out new movie wont play until an bios update is done, and how soon that update comes out. Even trying to play off buying a PS3 to get gameplay as a bonus to movie watching. - I just couldn't pull the trigger.

What it really came down to was movie selection. Within a few dollars - everything else pretty much washes out. The problem I see is that there are two REALLY BIG DOGS fighting this war. The economy is not where it was back when the VHS wars were going on, and cost of manufacturing todays technology combined with our societies look at disposable income.... (much of which I don't have :razz: ) I'm not seeing a winner of either side. Both sides have some very deep pockets to just wade through the marketing and slow sales to see the eventual cost recoup on investment.

In fact, I have noticed a distinct increase in the number of movies that are now coming out in both formats... I forget the studio alliances between formats, but there will always be a few independants, and LG is licening both formats for players. Others will follow - just because no one wants to be left behind.....

We (I) just have to wait for the early adopters with their 'disposable income' to defer the costs so that prices come down to what I am willing (or at least can justify to my wife :-D ) spending.
jeffterm

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:06 am

Extraxt from UK magazine PC Pro

"Warner Brothers has announced that it will no longer support the HD DVD format and will only produce Blu-ray discs. As the largest player in the home entertainment market, this could effectively be the end of HD DVD with only Paramount Pictures and Universal Pictures still exclusively producing discs for the format.

The HD DVD camp's response to the announcement hasn't been very encouraging, and it has cancelled all of its CES 2008 press events due to the "timing of the Warner Home Video announcement". So far it has yet to respond officially.

Bill Gates was reported to be announcing an HD DVD version of the Xbox 360 in his final press conference on Sunday night, although the recent announcement could throw this launch into doubt. "
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Clayton » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:15 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Extraxt from UK magazine PC Pro
Bill Gates was reported to be announcing an HD DVD version of the Xbox 360 in his final press conference on Sunday night, although the recent announcement could throw this launch into doubt. "

To some people, Bill Gates endoring something can have a negative effect. It is amazing how many people dislike Microsoft and Gates. :shock:

By the way, the first post didn't take. Hope this one does.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby happy2bapappy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:03 pm

excuse my ignorance, but a regular 'old fashioned' DVD player will always be able to play both, right??

Will it be the case that everyone will need to adopt to the new standard of DVD and make a purchase, whether it be blu ray or HD, or will an 'old fashioned dvd player play both, but just not be able to perform to the new higher quality the new standard will be capable of?
aka. John.
happy2bapappy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:16 pm

You will, of course, not be able to play either hi-def format on a standard DVD player, John.

So, until someone releases an affordable dual-format hi-def DVD player, you only have the option of:

1) Buying one or the other and risking that either your format will cease to exist or your favorite movie won't be available in your format;

2) Buying a DVD player that plays standard DVDs but up-rezzes them so that they look hi-def (these actually work pretty well)

3) Play hi-def video-on-demand and avoid the whole hi=def DVD game completely.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Hi Def