They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DCP articles on the format wars

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

DCP articles on the format wars

Postby jackfalbey » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:47 pm

ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: DCP articles on the format wars

Postby Ken Jarstad » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:46 pm

Jack, the likelyhood is that most folks will be using std-def DVDs for some time yet. However, after viewing some DVD movies from Blockbuster on my upconverting HDMI connected player on HDTV, I am very impressed with the image sharpness and additional clarity. For many folks this solution on HDTV is good enough until the format wars subside and the prices for media, burners and low-cost production equipment drop to 'reasonable' and they are widely available.

Meanwhile, we can make our movies in hi-def and - RIGHT NOW - make them available on std-def DVDs with better quality images just the way the big boys do. Consider some of these quotes:

On the spirit of this thread, I ran into an issue with Encore CS2 yesterday, and had to burn the air copy DVD for the art department using different software...

I used Nero. Dropped the m2t file of the program directly into the DVD creator.

The quality of this downconversion was FAR superior to Encore or Premiere, and honestly to any other methods I've tried (Cineform included).

I was blown away! The cheapo consumer DVD burning software put out a stunningly good copy for DVD. As well, it worked. =D

I watched the DVD back on a 42# LCD HDTV through an upconverting Component DVD player. It was far, far superior to network TV using HDMI from a cable box, and on par with HD remastered DVD content from the major players in film. Freaky!

Carl

And here is the URL for that quote:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70792&page=4

Just recieved the HV20 about an hour ago and I now have a copy of Nero 8 on the way. There are "ways around the system" and I fully intend to take advantage of them. I may have to do rough edits in Nero for awhile but I am looking forward to having top quality images.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Hi Def