They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AVCHD 1080/60i to DVD? can it be done?

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

AVCHD 1080/60i to DVD? can it be done?

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:51 am

Hello Everyone, Can someone tell me if it is possible to render a AVCHD 1080/60i video and burn it to a single DVD disk? or can this only be done on to a blu-ray?
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Re: AVCHD 1080/60i to DVD? can it be done?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:19 am

You can fit about 20 minutes of AVCHD video on a DVD disc. However, it won't be a DVD at this point. In other words, you won't be able to play it in a DVD player.

It will then be a BluRay video that just happens to have been recorded on a DVD disc.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:28 am

Thanks Steve, So is it the case that the only way to burn the 1080/60i quality video in a form that is truely useful, is to burn it to Blu ray? I have a Blu ray burner, and some Blu ray disks, but it seems that this will be much more expensive. My camera allows for recording at lower levels, and if I am not mistaking Movie Studio Platinum can certainly render at lower levels, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of using a Professional camera? Steve, is it possible to record something in 1080/60i and get a usable file that maybe isn't at 1080/60i without loosing video quality?
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:20 pm

So is it the case that the only way to burn the 1080/60i quality video in a form that is truely useful, is to burn it to Blu ray?

It depends on what you mean by "truly useful". If you want something with navigable menus, then, yes, you will need to burn it as a Blu-ray disc. If this is for your video business, you may want to offer a standard definition DVD as an option as not everyone will have a Blu-ray player. If you don't want menus, you can export as an H.264/MP4 AVC video. That can be distributed to your customers by burning in data disc format on a blank Blu-ray disc (25GB capacity) or copying to a flash drive. Flash drives will be more expensive than blank Blu-ray discs, but most hdtvs will have a usb port that will allow direct playback from the drive. The movie can also be copied from the distribution media and placed on a computer or a video server that can be accessed through the home wi-fi network.
Bob

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:50 am

Wow, I think I struck gold when I found this website, thanks to Steve's book. Bob, the information you have provided here is great to learn. Bob, you mentioned offering standard definition DVD as an option. I think that is a great idea. I could offer it as a way for the client with less budget to work with to cut cost and still get a terrific video. Bob, other than Youtube, what are some video servers that can be used?
Thanks Jeff,

Jeffrey W. Arnold

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 am

I was talking about a server on your local home network. I should have used the term media server instead of video server as that would have more accurately reflected that. The server can be a pc, a dedicated media server, or even network attached storage. Most such equipment is DLNA certified and compatible across most manufacturers (Apple is an exception, they are pushing their own schema). See http://www.dlna.org/consumer-home.
Bob

Return to Hi Def