They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Lightscribe for BluRay?

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Lightscribe for BluRay?

Postby karri » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:47 am

Hi Everyone,

I generally have always used Lightscribe disc for my projects but I am creating a BluRay project and am not sure if there are BluRay Lightscribe discs? If there are, can I burn a disc in my BluRay writer and then use my LightScribe burner just to inscribe the disc? There seems to be conflicting information on the web, so I'm coming to the experts :)

Thanks again in advance. You guys are the best!
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lightscribe for BluRay?

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:23 am

There are still no BluRay Lightscribe discs available that I know of, have looked for a few years now. I still prefer the printable discs and my inkjet printer but sometimes a lightscribe disc is fun. Silver inkjet printables can give a similar effect however so those I use regularly.

From Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe

"Various brands manufacture the required media. Dual Layer DVD+R's are currently the highest-capacity disc to support the technology.[4] There has yet to be any development of LightScribe Blu-ray discs.

Companies such as HP, Samsung, LaCie and LiteOn have discontinued or are fading out LightScribe drives as of June 2013[5] with only LG still manufacturing drives."

Seems like Lightscribe might be on the way out ...
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Lightscribe for BluRay?

Postby karri » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks Chuck! This is why you are the experts here, although this is sad news indeed :( I like Lightscribe; it gives a professional look without the expense of having to print on printable discs. Although mostly everything I've done in the past year has gone only to web, and bypassed discs altogether. I was surprised when someone asked for a disc of any sort.

Thanks again Chuck! :TU:
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Hi Def