They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HD on DVD without Blu-ray

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

HD on DVD without Blu-ray

Postby Gooder » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:38 am

Hi,

Not sure if anyone has read this small tip that was in one of the video magazines I read!

I did a search on this forum but found no mention of it so here goes :-D

Practical Digital Video Issue 24

" Premiere expert Steven Gotz (http://www.stevengotz.com) has found a unique way of getting HD on a regular DVD disc, without having to spend a fortune for Blu-ray discs or burning hardware. Steven picked himself up a DVD player that is capable of playing windows Media (.wmv) files , such as the JVSRDVD-100U (pro.jvc.com). In the Media Encoder, Steven outputs to one of the HD WMV presets , and burns as a DVD data disc instead of a DVD movie disc. The SRDVD -100U outputs in a HDTV format and voila! For $0.29 per disc, you too can author HD on DVD. "

Hope it helps!
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: HD on DVD without Blu-ray

Postby Paul LS » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:40 am

I burn HD to standard DVDs and play them back on my HDTV as described in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=89

There is also a thread on producing HD WMV DVDs, but cant find it now.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Gooder » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:49 am

Yeah, just another way of doing things I guess, Paul LS! :-D

It's interesting to learn how you and others are working with HD. I am looking in to purchasing a Sony FX1 for my work and these HD tips will really come in handy!

I have never of heard of the tip I posted above. I think it is easier to do it the way Steven Gotz has worked out than using many pieces of sodtware but your way is certainly a good way of doing things though, one I might try when I move up to HD!

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:26 am

I like to have a DVD menu... with Mr Gotz way you do not have one. The simplest approach is to author a HD WMV DVD with menu using Magix MovieEdit Pro. You can play this back on a computer with menu and all.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Gooder » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:56 am

Very true, I didn't think of that :-D

I happen to have an older version of Magix (just looking on my shelf) I have version Pro 2004.

Thanks for the tips, Paul!

Cheers,
Lee
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby digitaldallas » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:57 pm

I do the same, but use DivX. Does anyone know the size and picture difference between HD WMV and DivX?
digitaldallas
New User
New User

Return to Hi Def