They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Saving Individual Clips

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2018

Saving Individual Clips

Postby fls1945 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi,
I am in the process of converting old family video tapes to digital. I anticipate having a bunch of clips such as Christmas 1985, 1986, 1987 etc and Summer Holidays 1990, 91,92 etc. stored in Organizer or some other location.

I would then later assemble those clips in to a variety of masterpieces. (Tarantino, eat your heart out)

I have gotten some initial videos on to the computer already in avi format.

Currently on an individual video tape I might have Christmas, birthday, summer holiday, baseball etc. So when I play the video back through Adobe Premiere Elements 18, I can create a clip for each of Christmas, birthdays etc. by moving each one e.g. Christmas to Video 1; Birthday to Video 2 on the timeline. However I cannot see a way of saving each one individually in to either a file of my choosing, or even through Organizer. The only Save function that I can see is under the File function, which I believe will save the whole project

All of the Help information that I have found seems to focus on adding and editing clips, but I cannot locate any reference to the initial step of creating and storing them.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
fls1945

Re: Saving Individual Clips

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:18 pm

Everyone has their own methods for workflow but for me I create folders by years. Then within the folder I create a sub-folder with the year and month then the name of the event. For me the files then stay in chronological order. Others might have different methods.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:41 pm

I think what you want is under Publish and Share instead of File. There's a tool on the timeline called the Work Area Bar that will allow you to select only a portion of your timeline. Then under Publish and Share you specify that you want to export the Work Area Bar section only. This tutorial is for an older version of PrEl, but the idea is the same.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:02 pm

I agree with Dave. What you want to do is take each segment for a particular event or date and then use Export & Share to output it as an MP4. Save each of these MP4s in a directory folder on your computer's hard drive. Later you can decide if you want to keep the original video.

Once you've output these segments, it will be a cinch to use the Elements Organizer to manage these files so that, whenever you want, say, video from Christmas 2001, you can quickly locate it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby fls1945 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the response, but none of the suggestions work for me. If you can see the screen-shot that I uploaded you will see that I have split one original video in to three separate clips. I would like to save each of those clips separately. However, the Publish and Share method suggested by Dave is focused on the entire / original 26 min video. I cannot find any tool that aims at single clips only. I am pretty sure that what i am trying to do must be fairly conventional. If not, how do other people get a clip library of their own files?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fls1945

Postby Peru » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:48 pm

fls1945 wrote:Hi,
I cannot find any tool that aims at single clips only.

Did you go to the link Dave gave?
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:56 pm

I can see the Work Area Bar in your screen shot (see below). I've circled the handles on both ends of the WAB. The handles can be dragged back and forth to select only the part of the video that you want to export. Did you watch the tutorial?

screenshot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby fls1945 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi,
Yes I did watch the tutorial, but like all other guides that I have seen, it starts with the clips already saved and in a folder. That is the stage that I want to get to: creating the clips to put in to the folder. My question is, “How did the original videographer put them there.

I noted the section on exporting via the work area bar, but I think that is further down the editing road than I am. It appears to be saving / exporting complete, albeit short videos. I want to use the bits that he is exporting, as clips.

I am starting with super-long, sleep-inducing old videos, which I want to abbreviate to a watchable length. Thus I will probably delete 50% of each original video, and hopefully have about 25 clips that I can (1) save, (2) edit individually and then (3) reassemble into two or three videos on different topics e.g. birthdays; sports etc

This must be easy to do, because almost every how-to video starts with assembling a video by adding clips from a file. My question: How did they get there?

Thank you for your patience in listening to some very neopyte'ish questions.
fls1945

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:37 pm

The original videographer put the clips there by creating his/her own folder structure and naming system for organizing clips and saved them there. Whether the clips were created ahead and inserted into a project or whether they are created from scratch within a project is pretty much immaterial. If you have a section of your timeline that you want to save as a clip, adjust the start and end points of the Work Area Bar to be above that section. For standard definition VHS captures use Publish and Share > Computer. In the file types section scroll down and choose AVI. In the presets choose either DV NTSC Standard (for the U.S.) or DV PAL Standard for overseas PAL. Give it a file name and browse to the folder you've chosen to save it in. Select the Share WorkAreaBar Only option. Click Save.

Regarding folder structure and where to save your work, Sidd's suggestion is one used by many, but you need to figure out what makes sense to you and will allow you to easily find a particular clip when you need it. I'm assuming you understand how to create Windows folders.

Tutorial videos often use pre-made clips when the point of the video isn't how to edit video but rather to explain another part of the process. In this case that was the use of the WAB. Thus Chuck used clips he already had. But as I said above, it doesn't change the process.

We're pretty easy-going here, and persistent. If what I've outlined above doesn't solve your problem we'll keep working on it. Just bear with us because it may just be a communication problem and we're just not understanding your needs. And there are always others who may be able to step in and understand a problem better, or be able to explain a solution better. I'm just part of a team.

A couple of screen captures below that may help.
WAB.jpg

Publish and Share.jpg

Dave McElderry

Postby fls1945 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 pm

That's great. FINALLY I've got it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now, how do I save a clip without rendering it. Since I am assembling the rough, unedited components of a longer video, I am hoping to pull a bunch of "birthday parties", and "Holidays" etc together, and then edit then in to their respective stories. I don't want the computer spending a ton of time rendering video, much of which will be deleted later.
Any thoughts?
Regards,
Frank
fls1945

Postby Peru » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:16 pm

fls1945 wrote:That's great. FINALLY I've got it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now, how do I save a clip without rendering it.

Do you mean rendering (preparing a preview so that it plays smoothly on the timeline) or exporting (outputting a file)?
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:04 pm

It sounds like you're asking if you can save parts of your timeline as clips within PrEl without outputting them as a separate file. Like a bin within the program that you can draw parts of a project from. The answer to that is no. And PrEl won't allow you to copy parts of one project and then open another project and paste them in, either. You'll have to use the WAB with Publish and Share for that.

If it's at all helpful, from time to time I've used a workaround within a project to do something similar. I'll select and copy a section of a project that I want to use again within that project and then go paste it in an empty part of the timeline. Later I'll come back and drag it back to where I want to use it, or copy it again and paste it where needed. I admit, however, that it's rather cumbersome and not very elegant workflow. And a side effect is that when you do that the WAB automatically extends to cover all of the timeline that has clips in it, so if you remove them later you can end up with WAB above blank timeline. And you have to remember to remove any of those clips before you finalize your project. You have to be careful.

Bottom line is that it's probably best to export what you need using the WAB and then add them back into your project media bin to use as needed.

A word of caution regarding the WAB. Once you've manually adjusted the start and/or end points of the WAB it no longer will automatically adjust itself to your project length. Before you output your final video you'll need to make sure that the WAB covers the entire project, and only the project.

Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:29 am

Dave McElderry wrote:It sounds like you're asking if you can save parts of your timeline as clips within PrEl without outputting them as a separate file.

That is something that can be done with Premiere Pro sequences. Unfortunately, Premiere Pro requires a much more powerful computer and is available by subscription only, not a perpetual license.
Peru

Postby fls1945 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 pm

What I am trying to do is create and save clips as a bunch of separate files in different directories e.g. Holidays; Christmas etc. Later on, I might create a Christmas video covering many years. To do so, I will assemble all of my Christmas clips in my new project's Assets and then add them to my project, and edit them as required. Then, and only then, would I want to render them.

I use Publish and Share to perform that step, which I now finally understand. My problem is that when I perform that P&S step, Premiere automatically renders the clip. Since said clip is totally unedited at that stage, it is a massive waste of time to render it, since I will be making many changes to it before publication.All I have done to the clip at that stage is separate it from the larger "mother video".

Is there a way of preventing the auto-rendering? If there is, please share.
fls1945

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm

No. There is no other way.

You are taking a longer clip and breaking it into smaller clips. The only way to do that is to trim your longer clip and output copies of each segment.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE version 2018