They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Batch Shake Reduction Problem

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2018

Batch Shake Reduction Problem

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:51 pm

I thought I found something kind of cool: batch Shake Reduction using the Instant Movie feature. While Shake Reduction does an excellent job -- normally on one clip at a time -- there can be a lengthy wait before you can stabilize the next clip. I wanted to stabilize several clips without user intervention, while I watched TV.

All I did was put some clips on the timeline separated by 5 seconds of black video, then created an Instant Movie (Pan and Zoom theme) and opted out of all the options so that no edits were applied. After the instant movie was created, I applied Shake Reduction to the Instant Movie. When Shake Reduction was finished on the Instant Movie, I exported it to an MP4 file. All the clips within the instant movie looked beautiful. Then I saved the project, only to find out that the entire Instant Movie was corrupted when I opened the project later.

(I was more successful when I used Prodad Mercalli 2.0 to stabilize the Instant Movie. The saved project opened without the corruption. )

Two important points: Export your project to a suitable file format before you exit Premiere Elements or start a new project, because that's as far as you can go with batch shake reduction, and don't use clips that are badly shaken. The shake reduction will be lost once you exit Premiere Elements or start a new project. And if a clip is badly shaken, after the Instant Movie is stabilized, the Shake Reduction status message may tell you there is too much cropping and to fix the problem and try again.

This saves a lot of time for me and frees me up for longer periods.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Batch Shake Reduction Problem

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:07 pm

What a terrific trick, Robert! Thanks for sharing it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:41 am

Wow, awesome tip RJ !! You've done it again :SS:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Gosh darn.

The corruption problem I've had after opening projects with an instant movie with Shake Reduction applied also applies to saving a project with ANY clip with Shake Reduction applied.

Over the past few days, I have saved several projects with shake-reduced clips. Now when I open the projects, the clips with the Shake Reduction are corrupted. That's a lot of time wasted. For some reason I thought this problem applied only to instant movies.

I've since tried clips that are standard definition DV-AVI files and high-definition MPEG-4 (avc/h264) files from several sources. I tried with and without hardware acceleration, and quick and detailed shake reduction. Premiere Elements crashes if I try opening the Shake Reduction panel. Instead, I must remove all effects from the clip using the right-click pop-up menu, and then apply Shake Reduction again -- if I am inclined to do so.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere Elements.

After Shake Reduction completed, there are a number of errors in the error list that have to do with low-level errors with the stabilizer plugin. Does anybody else get these errors?

So the moral of the story is that if you are me and apply Shake Reduction to ANY clip or instant movie, export to a video file right after the stabilization is complete. Don't wait until another day to open a project and expect the stabilized clips to be stabilized (in fact they are worse than the original when played back, even after rendering previews).
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Good news. After uninstalling and reinstalling PRE2018 (16) for the third time, the problem I was having with the Shake Reduction effect has been resolved.

This time, I cleaned up some registry entries and file folders that were left behind after uninstalling PRE2018. I didn't reinstall any NewBlue effects that didn't come packaged with PRE2018. I also left out NeatVideo.

Now I can save and load projects without the corruption that occurred on clips with Shake Reduction.

I have since reinstalled NewBlue Video Essentials 2 and 4 without any problems returning.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks for the follow-up report, Robert!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE version 2018