They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The Flying Conundrum

Talk about the advent of Drone photography and video.

The Flying Conundrum

Postby sidd finch » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 am

I can relate to the phrase... All dressed up and no place to go....

So far I have been enjoying trying to learn how to fly this drone. As I watch other flying videos I see how risk-averse I am to take my little aircraft past my circle of trust. Some of the flyers are pretty daring and the resulting shots are exciting to watch. Which brings up my conundrum issue.

In my desire to be a responsible flyer I try to do some research in to locations that I could go to fly. Something to make the flight time interesting and try different locations..... but everywhere I look I get ... "DRONE use prohibited"

Well my quest to find locations to fly legally will continue.......

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: The Flying Conundrum

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:29 pm

I can make an analogy here that maybe you'll find applicable. I do it to explain that I understand your dilemma, not as a fellow drone pilot but from another point of view.

Although I no longer ride, I've been a motorcyclist all of my adult life. In my younger riding years I did some things that I'm not particularly proud of. But I lived to tell the tale and as I matured I learned that I wanted to be a responsible rider and realized that the way others viewed my riding reflected on the motorcycling sport in general. For 35 years I rode quiet machines in a style that was considerate of all road traffic and nearly always within the law (okay, sometimes I rode a little over the speed limit, but never recklessly). In that time I've seen, and been affected by, a lot of motorcyclists who for whatever personal reasons didn't care about the image they projected. Usually I had to shake my head and hope that they would someday realize how negatively they affect our sport. When laws are passed banning motorcycles from particular venues it almost always has to do not with people like me, but with "those other guys." But in the end all motorcyclists are affected. If some drone pilots don't choose to police themselves (as you've chosen to do, Sidd) then others will police all of them, good and bad alike.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Excellent analogy Dave, great story. There have been a few people that have ruined things for the majority for years, all the way back to elementary school. How many times did 1 person destroy the plans and hopes of many? It was very popular when I was in basic training in the Army. One or two people could ruin a whole weekend pass, just terrible.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:06 am

Dave I can really appreciate your insight. My hope is that as Drones get more regulated and commonplace the mood about prohibition will move more to the middle of the road. I do understand the desire to regulate but ...darn it I just want to fly...

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Well my quest to find locations to fly legally will continue.......

I've had the same problem. In addition to "being legal" there is being thoughtful. I've found that the general public around here seems to think every quadcopter is carrying nukes or something. They're terrified. I've flown a lot less than I expected to. Usually out in the country far from people. Even then I've had people come out of their houses to check out what was going on. It's hard to get far enough out that you won't bother anyone - or any animals.
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:16 am

Paz it is comforting to know I am not alone.

Thoughtful is the key word. I want to fly legally and.... without being a nuisance to anyone. And when I did find a cool place to fly.....low and behold I discovered that it was to close to the airport so it was a dead zone in terms of flying as the app locked the quad out from flying......

I think I will end up spending more time on Google-maps looking for interesting places to fly than actually flying.... :ha:

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Drones - Photo/Video