FAQSearch

Previous topic | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]

Alientech Duo Antenna Booster

Alientech Duo Antenna Booster

Offline - Moderator
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:14 pm Post
Lately I have not been flying my drone because there is so much wifi interference that it is almost impossible to get a clean signal to fly. Even had a crash because of the interference. Just in my neighborhood I pick up over 15 individual wifi signals. So very crowded. All the noise really causes the drone to drift as well.

Not wanting to get a new drone with a better connection interface (translates to a lot more money to spend and I try to be thrifty). I did some research on the Alientech wifi antenna booster. A bit pricey at $200 the antenna does an amazing job of locking in the signal.

When I used to take off the drone would take a minute to lock into the signal then as I went in the air it would say signal very weak. Well glad to report no more of that. Turn on the drone and an immediate lock and I do not notice any drift. So far so happy. Might be time to put the old flight jacket on and go for a fly.... woo hoo.

Sidd
Last post Reply with quote 

Re: Alientech Duo Antenna Booster

Offline - Super Contributor
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:21 pm Post
So is this used in stead of your drone controller? I see two joy sticks in the photo above, so it looks like you would not use the controller that came with the drone.

Offline - Moderator
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:48 pm Post
TreeTops should have explained better.

The device is an antenna booster that is added to the existing controller that replaces the controllers antenna.

I opened the controller and disconnected the existing antenna wires that are used for the devices orig antenna. I then replace that hookup by connecting the Alienware antenna wires to the controller. The whole system is a passive boost that is powered by the existing controller battery. So I use the orig controller connected to the antenna booster.

Sidd

Offline - Super Moderator
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:00 am Post
Great advice, Sidd! It is getting crowded out there.

Offline - Moderator
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:52 am Post
So you're saying that the drone uses the same frequency band that WiFi uses?

Offline - Moderator
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:55 am Post
The drone and the drone remote control act like their own WiFi hotspots and connect directly to each other. This wifi extender operates in both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

But 5GHz is faster 2.4GHz travels further.

Sidd

Offline - Moderator
Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:00 pm Post
I never realized that. Can you change the sub channels on the original drone controller like on a WiFi router? I understand you don’t need to now, but I wonder if that can be done. I also wonder if you may now end up interfering with other people’s nearby WiFi. I suppose it can work both ways.

Offline - Moderator
Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:34 am Post
Can you change the sub channels on the original drone controller like on a WiFi router?

From a user perspective there is no way to access that.

I also wonder if you may now end up interfering with other people’s nearby WiFi

Good question not sure if it does something I need to research.

Sidd

Offline - Moderator
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:54 am Post
I thought that the FCC requirements were configured to prevent interference.
Top Reply with quote 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]
Previous topic | Next topic