They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How Can I Find What Video Type My Camera Shoots In??

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

How Can I Find What Video Type My Camera Shoots In??

Postby shepsquad » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:20 pm

I have been lucky enough to get to use a Sony hxr-nx70u to shoot some footage for an educational video I am making as part of my undergrad. I have no experience with this camera or with videography in general other than what I've picked up while working on this one project for my undergrad!

I am noticing that once I get my .mts files onto Premiere Elements 15, the frame rate is very bad and almost seems to be buffering as I play the preview of my video..

This leads me to think that my settings are incorrect for the video type that the Sony hxr-nx70u produces.

Some info that may help:

- currently my settings are set to NTS-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 30 (default)

- when I imported the videos onto my hard drive, I copied over both the .mts and the .cpi file for each video just in case. I only brought the .mts file into Premiere, the .cpi is there for the .mts file to reference within the folder they are stored in if that is necessary (like I said I am a little clueless about this?)

Please tell me how to ascertain from my video camera what settings I should use in Premiere to get the best results.

If you think that the settings are not what is causing this issue, please let me know.
shepsquad
New User
New User

Re: How Can I Find What Video Type My Camera Shoots In??

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:04 pm

This camcorder shoots in MPEG and AVCHD, so it should interface very nicely with Premiere Elements -- particularly if you're shooting in AVCHD. The cam shoots in 60 fps and 24 fps, but the online specs don't say if the 60 is 60 interlaced or 60 progressive. What do you have the recording mode set at?

One easy test to see if the program is accurately matching the project settings to your video specs is to open a new project and drop a clip from the camcorder onto the Video 1 track.

If the program is properly matching the project setting to your video specs, you will NOT see a yellow orange render line above this clip. Is this the case in your project?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby shepsquad » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Steve! I have been watching your tutorial videos and they have been very helpful! Thank you for making them.

I have been shooting in AVCHD, and the camera has been set to auto, but defaults to 60 fps.

As far as the yellow-orange render line, it is not present in the video I have been editing. I was experimenting with different things and changing settings on new projects and bringing in videos to see how they ran, and the ones I tested did have that render line. So the mode I am in currently seems to be correct by what you have told me..

I just cannot figure out why the video is so poor looking in the preview? Like I said, it looks exactly like it is buffering. If my computer is a bit older and has some difficulty processing things sometimes, could this be a potential root cause of what I am experiencing?
shepsquad
New User
New User

Postby shepsquad » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:47 pm

And I do apologize for double posting! I didn't know the most appropriate place to ask so I put it in a couple subs that I thought might be able to help. Some sites have different policies on these things. Just trying to get an answer as soon as possible, now I know for the future!
shepsquad
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:28 am

Can you give a bit of info about the PC specs - CPU? RAM? Opsys? HDD free space?

It could (emphasis on could) be that the PC that you are using just lacks some horsepower.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:32 am

In fact, I'd recommend that you add your specs as your signature, as many of us has done. That way they'll appear whenever you post a question and you won't have to keep typing them in every time we need to know.

You can add a signature by clicking on the User Control Panel link at the top of this page.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15