They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Issues with freezing, shut down and rendering

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Issues with freezing, shut down and rendering

Postby augustabutton » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Hello

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me, as I've struck out on every google search I can think of to help.

I have just purchased PRE 15 and am trying to produce videos using footage from my GoPro Hero4. However, I am having varying success due to the program intermittently freezing when I try to add media into the program from files on my computer, freezing or shutting down completely (I get a black screen where only my cursor shows and works and the computer makes no attempt to reboot) and the almost ever present 'Not enough memory' that pops up.

I have checked my computer requirements which are above what is required for the program, I have noticed the orange strip indicating the need for rendering, which I have tried to render to see if this improves the program (which it does, until I try to add another media file to the program) and now am ready to throw in the towel.
The ridiculous thing is that I have managed to fully produce both shorter and longer videos (between 5 and 20 minutes in length), where in some cases the program has had few or no issues, but today I can't seem to do a single thing without it glitching on me.

I am not a tech person by any stretch, so I'm not sure if I can fix whatever the problem is?

My last resort is that I have found some posts about people who have to convert their GoPro footage before importing it into PRE or that I can somehow change the setting in PRE to accept the footage as is. Can someone advise me at all on this? Might this be the underlying issue as I am only using the program with my GoPro footage and no other - the setting on it is 1080-60.
I feel I've just thrown my money away on this program and I really don't know what to do next.

Thanks in advance for any help.
augustabutton
New User
New User

Re: Issues with freezing, shut down and rendering

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:08 pm

What is the format (MOV, AVI, MP4) of your video and its resolution? If it is an MOV file, have you got Quicktime 7 installed?

What operating system do you have? What processor do you have and how much RAM? How much free, clean space is on your hard drive?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Welcome to Muvipix!
:meet:

I'm not a GoPro user, but the free GoPro utility should convert it well for you.

I'm sure some of the seasoned GoPro users will chime in soon.
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:

I have a GoPro Hero Session and have no problems editing any of the video from that in Premiere Elements 15. I connect the GoPro and copy or move the files to a folder on my local drive, all files are MP4. Do not try to load the files into Premiere Elements from the GoPro while connected, copy the files to your computer first. As Steve suggest above it would be good to know more about your computer and the specs, etc.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:19 pm

When you record with your GoPro it creates 3 types of files:

1. THM
2. LRV
3. MP4

Ignore the first two types of files (they are used for the smartphone application.copy the MP4 files directly to your computer and past in a folder of your choosing. When you open Premiere import the MP4 files into your timeline. Premiers should automatically ask you if you want to change the default. At this point I say yes and I am ready to start editing.

I would not convert the files as this will reduce the resolution of the files. And, premiere can handle the files from the camera. Also remember that after you move all your files to your computer it is a good idea to format the SD card in the camera. Keeps things clean. I am assuming that you are using a class 10 SD card to record?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby augustabutton » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:14 pm

Hello everyone

Here is the information asked for:

System - Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-37705 CPU@3.10GHz
RAM 8.00GB (7.89GB useable)
64 bit Operating System, x64 based processor

Additionally when I open up my file explorer it shows my C drive as 88.9GB free of 232GB

As for the GoPro:

It contains a San Disk Extreme Plus 64GB Micro SD
The only numbers I see on it are a 3 (in a horseshoe bracket) and XC1
This card came with the camera.

Additionally I take the video footage off of the camera (it imports into the Pictures folder on my computer automatically) before moving the files to a folder to work on in PRE. The files are all MP4.
The camera films in 1080 resolution at 60 frames per second.

I find it particularly frustrating because I have been producing films on the free Windows Movie Maker with no issues (apart from bad resolution when they convert for youtube) and bought the PRE for the higher quality and more control, but it's just turned out to be frustrating from start to finish.

Does any of this information help?

Thank you again in advance!
augustabutton
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:59 pm

Graphics card specs would help :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby augustabutton » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:34 am

Hi

Apologies about that, the graphics card information:

The computer has two graphics cards - the integrated card is Intel HD 4000 and an add on card which is NVIDIA Geforce GT640M

This is how the computer came from Dell, nothing has been changed by me.
My other half checked the system this morning and PRE was running on the Intel card so he swapped it over to try it on the NVIDIA and it actually made the program worse - the render time went from minutes to hours and the issue with importing media and it freezing when trying to add the media into the video timeline was still present (after which the program won't close down).

Thank again :-)
augustabutton
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 am

Premiere Elements doesn't use graphics acceleration to any degree, so that graphics card isn't so much of an issue.

But I'm not sure what is. With your system, a 1080p60 MP4 should have not problems.

Can you confirm that, when you start a new project and you add one of these MP4s to the beginning of the Video 1 track, you do NOT see a yellow-orange "render" line above the clip, along the top of the timeline?

And that, if you go to the Edit menu and open Project Settings, you see 1920x1080 60 fps progressive listed?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15