They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Weird Preview Screen

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Weird Preview Screen

Postby john a » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi Steve

John A here again

When I load a playable DVD VOB FILE into Premiere Elements 15

the image on the preview screen has gagged edges with kind of a Zebra effect.

Then after some test editing and burning, it plays just fine.

The preview screen is quite annoying.

Bought your PE 15 book, It's GREAT for an Almost Amateur like myself

Cheers

John Alexander
john a
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Weird Preview Screen

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:19 am

Hi, John. Our community is not just one person. So questions posted here shouldn't be directed to me or just one person. We've got a wealth of people who can help you out.

But that said, welcome to Muvipix! Glad to have you part of our worldwide community. And thank you so much for supporting out books!

What is the origin of your DVD? Is it a commercial DVD or is it one that was produced by Premiere Elements or by another program?

Most likely the "combing" effect you're seeing is related to interlacing. But it's hard to say without actually seeing it ourselves. Can you post a screen capture of what you're seeing?

Also, when you add a clip of this video to the beginning of your timeline, is there a yellow-orange "render" line above the clip? The single most important element in producing quality video in Premiere Elements is that the project settings match the video specs. In most cases this will happen automatically, based on the first clip you add to your timeline.

But if you are seeing a yellow orange "render" line over that first clip, your project settings are not matching your video specs -- and that can affect both teh quality of your output and the efficiency of the program.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby john a » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:20 pm

HI MUVIPIX
The files I'm using originated on Hi8 tape converted with my ROXIO (Easy VHS to DVD) and my buddies TOSHIBA straight to DVD machine.
I don't have an Orange render line.
I'll have to learn how to do a screen capture and post it.
On pause the image is fine. I guess you'll want a few frames.

Thanks John Alexander
john a
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:27 pm

We may also have to dissect your captured video with a program like Media Info to see what's inside.

The Roxio programmed you used to capture your video came with software for editing video. The device that captured that video produces video that's ideally suited to be edited by that software.

It's possible Premiere Elements can edit that video -- but maybe not. Or not without issues. So, after we see your screen capture, we may need to see what the specs are of that video to find out if its possible to work around your issues.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:58 am

john a wrote:...When I load a playable DVD VOB FILE into Premiere Elements 15 the image on the preview screen has gagged edges with kind of a Zebra effect...

I have experienced this effect on capturing but the captured video was fine. In my case I just ignored the jaggies and carried on as normal. The resulting output, as you have said, is fine so it was only an issue during capture.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby john a » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Hello there GROUP

When you say, screen capture, I assume you mean a few minutes of the file
created by my converter, not having been run through PE 15.

Another option comes to mind, can someone suggest
a tape to digital converter that simply works with PE 15.

I don't mind investing further into this project.

Thanks John Alexander
john a
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:32 am

What I was referring to was the image in the capture window having the jaggies. Once captured, and when viewing the video in the video monitor window, the jaggies were not visible. Sorry I can't be more precise about this in the context of PrEl as as I do not use it.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby john a » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:We may also have to dissect your captured video with a program like Media Info to see what's inside.

The Roxio programmed you used to capture your video came with software for editing video. The device that captured that video produces video that's ideally suited to be edited by that software.

It's possible Premiere Elements can edit that video -- but maybe not. Or not without issues. So, after we see your screen capture, we may need to see what the specs are of that video to find out if its possible to work around your issues.

Hello there

When you say, screen capture, I assume you mean a few minutes of the file
created by my converter, not having been run through PE 15.

Another option comes to mind, can someone suggest
a tape to digital converter that simply works with PE 15.

I don't mind investing further into this project.

Thanks John Alexander
john a
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 15