They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

newbie quickies

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

newbie quickies

Postby abgtc » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm new to Premiere and wondered if people could answer these –- I hope! -- fairly simple questions...

1: When you right-click on video and designate a fade, a slanting line is visible -- and adjustable -- in the video track. Are adjustments possible to text or images? There are right-click fade options for them but I don't see anywhere to make adjustments.

2: From the Action bar you can put efx on individual clips and on an entire video; is it possible to simultaneously put efx on multiple (but not all) clips in a video?

3: Auto SmartTone made my video look great but it also resulted in occasional random abrupt variations in the picture -- suddenly more or less contrast, brightness, etc. Is this a known issue? If so, Auto SmartTone becomes less useful.

4: I suspect the answer's No but... beyond the two Alignment buttons on the Action bar, is there a more precise way to position text on the monitor other than dragging? (The cursor keys don't seem to have an effect.)

4: To get more screen real estate, is it possible to remove the voice and music tracks?
abgtc

Re: newbie quickies

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi and welcome to Muvipix :meet:

I first recommend watching our FREE basic training videos, some of your questions will be answered there. Then post back with any additional questions you may have :)

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 6&btn.y=12
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby abgtc » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:39 pm

I watched 'em all on the net right after I got Premiere. Very well done but I don't think they answer any of these particular questions.
abgtc

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:25 am

It's actually kind of hard to answer a whole list of questions on a forum, ab. Especially when sometimes the answer involves multiple steps.

We can give you short answer to each question. And, if you want further details, you can start a new thread and ask one question at a time. Or you can pick up a copy of our book, which answers virtually all of these questions and more!

1. Yes, you can apply a fade in and out to titles and photos as well as video.

2. It's not quite clear what you're asking here, but there are a number of ways to apply several effects to several clips at once. You can, as you know, select several clips at once and apply effect after effect to the group. But there are better ways to apply a batch of effects to a group of clips. Paste Effects and Attributes is a great feature for copying a set of a effects from one clip to several more -- but the easiest way to apply effects to a large group or even your entire movie at once is to use Adjustment Layers.

3. Auto Smart Tone is an intuitive adjustment tool but, like Auto Color and similar effects, it has its liabilities. Especially with longer clips. So, yes, it is quite common for a clip that has had Auto Smart Tone applied to it to show occasional breakups and pixelation.

4. There are ways to pretty precisely locate your text on your monitor -- but it involves working with Scale and Position settings, which are not in the Title Adjustments workpsace. So I guess actually the answer is yes -- and no.

4. Video 1/Audio 1, the Voice and Music tracks are part of the default timeline setup and can't be removed. However, if you have two monitors attached to your computer, you can set the program to dual-monitor mode and move the entire timeline off to a separate monitor, if screen real estate is a problem.

Welcome to Muvipix.com!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby abgtc » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:13 pm

Sorry about the multiple questions, thanks for the response -- actually, 2-5 pretty much answer the questions.

For 1, though: I know you can apply fades to titles and photos; my question was whether you can adjust those fades (that is, change their duration and/or volume and/or arc, like you can with video fades).

When you apply a video fade, a slanted line representing it appears in the timeline, which makes the fade adjustable. With titles and photos, it appears that the only way to apply a fade is by right-clicking, and the fade that's then generated doesn't show up on the timeline or anywhere I can find, which means it isn't adjustable.

The problem is that these title/photo right-click fades change length according to the length of the title/photo insert, which means they sometimes appear too long or short; I'd like to be able to adjust them.
abgtc

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:53 pm

The length of the fade is determined by the distance between the keyframe points. To make a fade longer, increase the distance between the keyframe/points.

Fore more advanced users, you can also right-click on these keyframes and interpolate them -- changing HOW the fade happens.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby abgtc » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Sorry, I guess I'm still not being clear. As far as I can tell, image fades (as opposed to video fades) have no keyframe points. You right-click, designate the fade, and it's automatically applied, its length determined by the length of time the image is displayed. But I'm wondering if I'm missing something and, if so, how the elements of an image fade -- where no keyframe points can be applied -- can be adjusted.
abgtc

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:08 pm

No. All fades are made up of keyframes.

However, depending on whether the timeline track is displayed as compressed or open, you may not be able to see the keyframes on a particular clip.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby abgtc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:51 am

Yes, clip fades on the Video 1 timeline show up fine, but I'm talking not about a clip but an image. When I put an image on Video 2 or 3 and designate a fade using the right-click option, the image fades but there are no keyframes visible. And, as far as I know, there's nothing compressed.

I've attached a screenshot; you can see the image on the monitor and on the Video 2 timeline beneath; the screenshot is from during the fade, so you can tell there is indeed a fade, but no keyframes that I can see. Whereas the clips on Video 1, beneath it, show keyframes for video fade out and fade in respectively.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
abgtc

Figured it out

Postby abgtc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:19 am

The problem isn't with image fades; it's with all the timelines other than Video 1 -- all fades/keyframes appear only on that timeline, not on any others.

Thanks for helping with this.
abgtc

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:39 am

Abgtc,

When talking about the time line, "Clip" is used to refer to both video and images. There is no difference in how they handle fades and key frames.

Look at the time line. Track 1 is expanded while track 2 is not -- look at the arrow at the far left of the track. If you click on the arrow for track 2 you will expand the track and you should see the key frames.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby abgtc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:44 am

Oh my God -- duh! And sorry, I didn't realize "clip" meant both video and images. (And, I just realized, I've been using the word "timeline" when I meant "track".) Anyway, all set now and that really really helps. Thanks!
abgtc

Return to PRE Version 15