They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2018
Not quite sure what our site has to offer?
Check out the
Muvipix Video Tour

Portrait video project settings

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Portrait video project settings

Postby stefan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:17 pm

I am trying to figure out how I can change my project settings to 1080 x 1920 so that I can edit video shot on my mobile phone.

This tends to be video of my grand daughter which I want to send via Whatsapp and appear in portrait on families mobile.

Is this possible?
stefan
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Portrait video project settings

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:37 pm

This is not possible in Premiere Elements. CyberLink PowerDirector 15, however, does offer this feature. You can find out more about it and our book on it here.
http://muvipix.com/cpd15.php

Premiere Elements has presets for 4:3 and 16:9 video. You can place your portrait video into one of these projects -- but it will appear with blank space on either side.
3.4 ghz i7-4770 running Windows 10 64-bit with 12 gigs RAM; three internal 500 gig SATA drives. Also iMac 2.6 ghz dual-core, 4 gigs of RAM, running OSX El Capitan and Boot Camp Windows 10 64-bit.
User avatar
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 12626
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Portrait video project settings

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:57 am

stefan wrote:I am trying to figure out how I can change my project settings to 1080 x 1920 so that I can edit video shot on my mobile phone...which I want to send via Whatsapp and appear in portrait on families mobile.


I don't use Whatsapp so I may be misunderstanding this if it is a Whatsapp limitation.

My S4 held horizontally has a native screen resolution of 1920x1080. Why not send the video in that (landscape) aspect so that all that the viewer has to do is to rotate their (smart?)phone through ninety degrees so that they can view it?
i7 6700k, Z170-P mobo, Win7 64 bit, 32Gb RAM, SanDisk 240GB SSD, WD 150GB Raptor, LG BD Burner, 1Gb nVidia GTS250, Akasa card reader, Antec P183 case. Samsung 19" TFT 1280 x 1024, Sony HVR-A1, Synology DS412+ 8GB NAS, Adobe CS6.
User avatar
John 'twosheds' McDonald
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3795
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:57 am
Location: Carini, Sicily

Re: Portrait video project settings

Postby stefan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:06 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:
stefan wrote:I am trying to figure out how I can change my project settings to 1080 x 1920 so that I can edit video shot on my mobile phone...which I want to send via Whatsapp and appear in portrait on families mobile.


I don't use Whatsapp so I may be misunderstanding this if it is a Whatsapp limitation.

My S4 held horizontally has a native screen resolution of 1920x1080. Why not send the video in that (landscape) aspect so that all that the viewer has to do is to rotate their (smart?)phone through ninety degrees so that they can view it?


Sorry for the delay in responding, I don't appear to be getting email alerts that this answered.

The original video is fine on a phone, but if I edit it in Premiere Elements, then I am unable to fill the screen. Guess the answer is that Premiere Elements not able to do what I want. In future if I want to edit video from my phone then I will only film in landscape.
stefan
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Portrait video project settings

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:02 pm

I hacked some files and made 2 new DSLR presets, one for 1080x1920 30fps, and the other for 608x1080 30fps. These are good for simple edits. I haven't tried applying a variety of effects to the video clips, so I don't know if the effects will come out as expected. I made as few hacks as was necessary to get a 9:16 ratio for editing.

I stuffed presets into a zip file and uploaded it to the gallery. http://muvipix.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10181&pos=0

I made the 608x1080 preset after my TV rejected 1080x1920, because 1920 isn't a supported vertical resolution.

After unzipping the contents to a folder, you have to manually copy the files to the appropriate folders. The name of the sub-folders gives you a hint where the files go.

There is no support for this. Good luck and happy new year.
Gateway DX4860-U28 i5-3300 Quad Core 3.0 GHz, Intel HD 2500 graphics, 8 Gb RAM; 1 TB 7200 RPM, 10 TB External, Windows 10 (x64).
User avatar
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member
 
Posts: 2974
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Northern California, USA

Re: Portrait video project settings

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Very nice solution, Robert! Thanks!
3.4 ghz i7-4770 running Windows 10 64-bit with 12 gigs RAM; three internal 500 gig SATA drives. Also iMac 2.6 ghz dual-core, 4 gigs of RAM, running OSX El Capitan and Boot Camp Windows 10 64-bit.
User avatar
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 12626
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Portrait video project settings

Postby stefan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:34 am

RJ Johnston wrote:I hacked some files and made 2 new DSLR presets, one for 1080x1920 30fps, and the other for 608x1080 30fps. These are good for simple edits. I haven't tried applying a variety of effects to the video clips, so I don't know if the effects will come out as expected. I made as few hacks as was necessary to get a 9:16 ratio for editing.

I stuffed presets into a zip file and uploaded it to the gallery. http://muvipix.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10181&pos=0

I made the 608x1080 preset after my TV rejected 1080x1920, because 1920 isn't a supported vertical resolution.

After unzipping the contents to a folder, you have to manually copy the files to the appropriate folders. The name of the sub-folders gives you a hint where the files go.

There is no support for this. Good luck and happy new year.

Many thanks for this, I followed your instructions and copied all the files into the appropriate folders. I had to create the user sub folder as there was nothing there for Premiere Elements 15.0 just 10.0 and 12.0.

I was able to edit fine in 608 x 1080 format but when I came to export there was no option to select 608 x 1080 so my first attempt did not work correctly. However worked out how to create a custom export preset using the Image Advanced Settings tab. Settled on h.264, is this correct? And checked "Match Source"
stefan
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Portrait video project settings

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:47 pm

Stefan,

Hello.
Yes, you will have to create the user sub folder.
Yes, you need to create a custom preset for export. The h.264 codec is my choice for streaming video to my devices.

RJ
Gateway DX4860-U28 i5-3300 Quad Core 3.0 GHz, Intel HD 2500 graphics, 8 Gb RAM; 1 TB 7200 RPM, 10 TB External, Windows 10 (x64).
User avatar
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member
 
Posts: 2974
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Northern California, USA

Re: Portrait video project settings

Postby stefan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks for your help, much appreciated
stefan
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:31 pm


Return to PRE Version 15 


Similar topics


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest