They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

newbie questions for prem elements 15

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

newbie questions for prem elements 15

Postby stevebri » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:44 am

Hi everyone, :meet: :meet: :meet: :TU:

So pleased I stumbled upon this site and sat and watched Steve's tutorials on youtube.. (big thanks Steve).

I've come from 20yrs as a photographer so physically shooting scene's isn't a big problem, the stumbling blocks I have are with getting up to spreed with Premiere elements 15 so if no one objects maybe you guys can help me with a couple of questions..

I use PC's not Mac's BTW (both my laptop and desktop have i7 chips, 16GB fast RAM, good video cards and SSD hard drives so no speed or number crunching issues)

Firstly, on my new HP laptop, I try to drang a song from itunes (latest download version) and get the dreaded 'genetic error' so I've looked online and am thinking it's either a codec, or Apple DRM issue. However can I easily move my elements movie file, plus the external HD with the clips on it over to my desktop and just open it up there...? that would solve the soundtrack issue.?

Secondly, I shoot with an Nikon D810 DSLR (for now :) ) normally full 1080p at 60fps... How do I keep the image quality at its best throughout the edit...? Do I ever render before the final outout...?

My 'stumbling in to this...' workflow goes like this: Please feel free to pick it apart and offer better ways of doing things.

1. import media files onto timeline 1
2. turn off audio in those files
3. add soundtrack
4. scrub the rushes getting rid of what is needed and or tossing unwanted takes.
5. edit the clips into a rough idea of how my story is told
6. fine tune the edit, paying attention to how the scenes fade etc and how they work with the soundtrack
7. colour grade the scenes now that we are close
8. add titles and credits
9. render it out full size
10. crunch it down for Vimeo etc...

Any pointers on what I'm doing right or wwrong would be a great help...

And Steve's book is top of my christmas list... just looking at the index pages lets you know no stone is left unturned.. :)

thanks in advance everyone.

Steve
stevebri
New User
New User

Re: newbie questions for prem elements 15

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:17 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Steve. You clearly understand the video editing workflow! I'm sure you'll have a very successful editing experience. Especially once you get our book! ;)

Meantime, be sure to check out our free 8 part Basic Training tutorials.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 22&btn.y=9

As for iTunes, one of the things we note in the book is that music from iTunes has very strong copy protection built into it that will keep you from using its music in a video editing project. Attempting to do so will bring up an error code. That's not an Adobe thing. It's true of any video editor your bring iTunes music into.

The solution is to either convert the iTunes music into an MP3 and then use a program like Audacity (free) to open the MP3 and convert it to a WAV file -- or simply get your music from another source. MP3s from Amazon, for instance, can be used in a video editing project as is. (Though you should still honor the artist's ownership rights, particularly if your video is a work for hire.)

As for the best quality workflow, the most important thing is to ensure that your project settings match your video specs. With most video, the program will match it automatically -- although sometimes it has trouble reading the specs of MOV files and you'll need to set your project up manually.

The indicator will be that, if your project is properly set up to match your footage, you will NOT see a yellow orange "render line" above the first clip on your timeline until you add a transition or effect to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby stevebri » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:59 am

Thanks Steve for the quick reply...

Aha...! I have the dreaded yellow/orange line..!!!

All i've done so far is dropped all my clips in, trimmed them up, chucked out the dead wood and done a standard fade in/out on each one, next job is to move them around to the song.

So, my question is.... what do I need to do to to protect the editing I've done so far...?

I had a quick look at a clip by right clicking>show properties and it gave me:

1920x1080
frame rate 25

I then went to edit>project settings>general and it gave me the same

1920x1080
25fps timecode

Would I be right in saying I have the render line because of audio...? which I'm not using.

Steve
stevebri
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 am

What format is the video? MP4? MOV? AVI?

In your initial post, you said you were shooting 1080p60. Are you sure you're shooting 1080p25?

You may need to download the free Media Info program and open your video in it to get complete specs.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby stevebri » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:36 am

Hi Steve,

Yes the first shoot was at 25fps as I wanted the film look, then I discovered that if I want to slow things down I should shoot at 60fps to avoid a jagged slow mo. the files are .MOV files which I presume is the norm for Nikon DSLR's.

I just installed mediainfo (fab bit of software thx) and upon right clicking it gives me 25.000 fps on the clips...

Yup... I'm scratching my head on that one....

Steve
stevebri
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:53 pm

Try starting a new Premiere Elements project. (I assume you're using the PAL TV format.) And follow the method I show you in part 1 of my 8 part Basic Training tutorials to set up your project for Full AVCHD at 25 fps. Then, back at the New Project screen, check the option to Force Settings. Then start up your new project.

That should be a perfect match for your 25 fps video. Although I'd have to see the full Media Info report to know for sure.

Meantime, it's probably not necessary to shoot in 60p to allow extra frames for slo-mo. The Time Remapping tool does an excellent job of blending frames and doesn't need high-speed footage to produce excellent slo-mo down to 1/8 speed.

60p, however, does make for better footage if you shoot a lot of action and movement.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Keep in mind that you are in a country that uses PAL instead of NTSC. Native PAL frame rates are 25p and 50p. 30p and 60p are NTSC frame rates. Depending on your intended use, you could certainly use 30p or 60p, but there are frame rate conversion considerations to keep in mind. Mixing footage with different base frame rate standards (PAL vs NTSC) in the same time line or exporting 60p to 25p or 50p will require frame rate conversions that may add or subtract frames or blend frames. This generally introduces judder that many find noticeable and objectionable. If your target viewing device uses PAL time base, it's generally best to stick to 25p/50p.

Your Nikon encodes video with Linear PCM audio. That's the same encoding used in WAV files. You won't get the Orange render line from the audio in your video clips.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:43 am

Did the OP say he was in PAL land? I must have missed that!
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to PRE Version 15