They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New "feature" or am I missing a setting

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

New "feature" or am I missing a setting

Postby Gerry » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi, folks -- I picked up PREL 15 several weeks ago and have edited several videos on it already. Seems very stable and not significantly different from Version 11, which I'd been using for years. ("Smart Sound" is gone, which is a loss if you're looking to edit non-copyrighted music to a specific time).

But I noticed this difference: On Video/Audio 1, if you move the beginning of a clip to a new spot further into the clip, the clip's new beginning spot will jump to the same spot on the timeline that the clip's former beginning occupied. This is the same as it's always been.

However, if you have a clip on Video/Audio 2 or anything above that, and move the beginning of a clip to a new spot further into the clip, the clip will not jump to the spot on the timeline formerly occupied by the beginning of the clip, but will, instead, just sit where it is, but now just shortened. I have to manually drag the clip to the spot on the timeline that the formerly unedited clip started at. (Does that make sense?) If I hadn't set a marker there, I have no idea where on the timeline that clip used to start.

Manually dragging isn't a big deal except when you're doing a 2-camera video. Normally I would place the Video/Audio2 clip where I wanted to switch to that clip, then watch that clip for the actually beginning. When the Timeline reached that point, I'd stop the playback, move the beginning of that clip to where the "playback head" was (can't remember what that vertical line is called), and the clip would jump back to where I'd indicated I wanted the clip to start.

Is this a "new feature" or is there a setting I'm missing? I tried holding down Alt and/or Control while moving the beginning of the clip, but that's not letting the clip jump back to where it formerly began.

Thanks!
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New "feature" or am I missing a setting

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:12 pm

First, while the program no longer includes SmartSound, which included a handful of free musical styles, it now includes Scores, Adobe's version -- which includes many of the same features and much larger free library of royalty-free music.

As for the way the timeline ripples, that was changed a few versions ago. In earlier versions, whenever you added or removed a clip from any track, all of the other tracks rippled to allow you to insert or fill the gap.

In more current versions, as you've seen, only Video 1/Audio 1 ripples the timeline. This makes rippling much easier to control -- but is kind of a surprise if you're used to the old timeline ripple.

Meantime, the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl/Command and Alt, still affect how your timeline ripples, just as in previous versions.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:08 am

Hey, thanks for the quick answers, Steve!

All in all, I'm happy with v15. But I'll have to look for Scores! I didn't even realize it was there.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:16 am

Scores are under the little music note button on the Toolbar along the right side of the program.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:36 pm

Excellent. Found it! While I haven't experimented with it yet, I'm guessing that it should be possible to generate any of the songs as an MP3, then let that new music feature that lets you generate a track of any length work on it to generate a non-copyrighted music track that fits the length of the video. Cool!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ron » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:44 pm

Gerry, your current email address isn't working here at the forum. You may want to change/update your email address via the User Control Panel.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gerry » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:30 am

Thanks, Ron. I just updated things (wasn't easy...)

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to PRE Version 15