They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Where is "Where Is"?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Where is "Where Is"?

Postby yosale » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:43 pm

In older versions of PRE, when I changed the HD location of a piece of media that was part of a project, PE tried to figure out where it was by asking me “Where Is xyz” and letting me know the name of what it was looking for. All I had to do was to point to a new location on the HD.
Beginning with PRE13, the “Where is” question did not come up. Instead I was to blindly figure out what item was missing. I was led to understand that it was a bug in PRE.

I just purchased PRE 15 in the hope that this issue would be resolved. It was NOT!!
Very disappointing!
Am I missing something?

My main reason for shelling out the money for an upgrade of PE was the hope that this bug was fixed. It was NOT!! Very disappointing!!

I don’t think that the additional features in PRE15 merit the expense of an upgrade. It is basically the same as PRE14.

Thx,
Joe
yosale

Re: Where is "Where Is"?

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 am

Joe, "Where Is" worked for me.

Maybe you tried opening a project created in an earlier version of Premiere Elements? Try creating a new project in 15 and save it. Now move a file you used in the project to a different hard drive. Open the project. Does it ask you "Where Is" this time? If it doesn't, then I don't know what could be causing the problem.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:15 am

Also, what operating system are you using?

When you open a project that has a "lost" or moved media clip in it, you'll get the Where Is screen -- but in version 15, the function is different in Windows that it is on the Mac.

Meantime, you may want to go to the User Control Panel link at the top of this forum page and add your computer and camcorder specs as your signature, as a number of us have. That way, when you have a question, we can immediately refer to information instead of having to ask you again and again.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby yosale » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Went through all the tabs in the control panel but couldn't find a place where to specify my operating system or computer type.
How do I do it?
yosale

Postby yosale » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:41 pm

The attached file shows the before and after images of PRE response to a broken link.
In early versions (until PR12) the name of the missing file was specified in the Where Is question.
In PRE 15 there is no Where Is question and no clue as to what file is missing.
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yosale

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:52 pm

yosale wrote:Went through all the tabs in the control panel but couldn't find a place where to specify my operating system or computer type.
How do I do it?

Under Profile > Edit signature you can create a custom signature which will display at the bottom of any posts you make. See my post here for an example. Many of us use that as a place to put system specs for quick reference.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:31 pm

It looks like you're using a Mac. Which is why that was first question I asked.

Computers using El Capitan and later Mac OS and OSX are not providing a proper Where Is screen. I've made Adobe aware of it and they are working on a solution, which they hope to release in an upcoming update. Although the problem really is with the Mac operating system, as evidenced by the fact that this problem is affecting not only current but even previous versions of Premiere Elements using El Capitan and Sierra that USED TO work just fine on older versions of OSX.

There is a convoluted workaround I can show you. But the problem is not with the program itself. The Where Is screen shows up just fine in the Windows version of the program as well as in the program running on older versions of OSX.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15