They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Cell phone clips

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Cell phone clips

Postby Gerlinde » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:26 pm

I have a question regarding cell phone video editing and don’t know where to post it. I just imported a bunch of video clips from my cell phone into PE. And had no problems editing them. The only issue I have is the quality and frame size of the clips. Is there any way to increase the frame rate from 15fps to 30 and the size from 320 x 240 to normal NTSC video size without loosing any more quality?
Gerlinde

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:32 pm

You can try converting them to DV-AVIs using MPEGstreamclip (depending on what file format they are in the first place).

A conversion will help -- but don't expect miracles. Low resolution, low frame rate video is what it is, and there's no magic program that will quadruple it's size and double its frame rate.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:04 pm

The clips from cell phones are not meant for editing or really doing much but putting on the computer or the web. Increasing the frame rate or enlarging the video will not yield positive results. You are best off keeping them at their actual size and just view them on your computer, not the TV.

Some people have actually made the changes you are trying to make and where satisfied with the results. It kind of depends on what your expectations are, and how bad the quality has to get before you don't like it.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:01 pm

You may want to look at Video Enhancer 1.6 ( http://www.thedeemon.com/VideoEnhancer/ ). It can upscale video from 320x240 to 720x480 (NTSC) with its Super Resolution feature. Download the 30 day trial and give it a go.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Gerlinde » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:36 pm

Thank you all for your replies! I don’t expect miracles, it’s more a matter of interest to me. I was for once very pleasantly surprised, that I could just import the clips into my video project and combine them without any issues with the regular video footage. I had started out converting them into AVI’s using some free program I found on the internet ( don’t remember what it was right now) until I realized they will work right of the phone in PE. The files come in as QuickTime files, they are 3gp. The only thing to remember is to turn off scale to frame size. Some of my viewers actually thought I had applied a “cool effect” to my videos.
I’m just a little more picky and would like to get rid of some of the jerkiness when there is a lot of motion going on.
I have After Effects by the way and I just found a tut on the subject of increasing frame rates in AE. I will try this as soon I get a chance, I’m only not that far into AE.
Paul thank you also for your link, I will look into that too.
Gerlinde

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:36 pm

I've had succes using SteadyMove plugin to smooth out MOV files with low frame rates.

Type this in at Start > Run or in

ftp://SteadyMovePro:stranraer@ftp.metrics.co.uk

Then download Steadymove_Setup.exe. That is the free version.

Make sure "Frame Blend" is turned off on the clips on the timeline. Don't use other effects with SteadyMove. You shouldn't have to make any adjustments to the SteadyMove settings, but you never know.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Robert you never stop amazing me... a link to the free version of Steadymove :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerlinde » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:13 am

Robert, I never thought about SteadyMove.
I have the plugin, although not the pro version. Does it matter and do I have to convert the clips first to avi?
Thank you for the idea and the link! I will post back once I have done some experimenting with all the suggestions. :-D
Gerlinde

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:10 am

It might not be a bad idea to convert to DV-AVI, although SteadyMove was originally used with MPEG.

You don't need the Pro version, which is slightly slower by the way.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gerlinde » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:04 am

I promised to report back once I have tried your suggestion on the cell phone clips:
Paul, the Video Enhancer did not do anything that I was able to tell for this type of video (3gp). They even tell you in their FAQ it will not work, I tried it anyway and no luck. But thank you for the tip it might come in handy for something else.
Robert, StaedyMove did not do any improvement either or lets say nothing really significant. But what seems to help is turning off "Frame Blend". To tell the truth, after a while of trying all kind of different things, I got more and more cross eyed and could not tell anymore if it is better or not :roll:
What have I learned:
- hold the phone as still as possible, avoid any movement when filming :eek:
- most important - don't forget to take the real thing when going somewhere with the grandkids.:oops:

But I'm still glad I have the option to use my phone in case of a video emergency :razz:
Gerlinde

Return to Tools