They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What is your video and photo organization tool?

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

What tool do you use to organize your video and photos?

Photoshop Elements Organizer
42%
Bridge
13%
Lightroom
4%
ACDsee
No votes
File manager in Windows
17%
Picasa
8%
Other
17%

Total votes : 24

What is your video and photo organization tool?

Postby Wheat King » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Also interested in hearing why you use the tools you do.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: What is your video and photo organization tool?

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:54 am

Use PSE for organizing pics. Use Bridge to locate & view video, music, motion backgrounds, graphics. My brother the photographer uses Light Room and swears by it.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Gerlinde » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:55 am

I also use the PSE organizer. But I use it only for my pictures and slide shows I made. I like the tagging system and also that I can apply a meta data file with my info to all the pictures I import. I'm not sure if I will use the PE organizer for my videos in the same way. I did not see a need for it yet.
I also use Bridge sometimes and I use Itunes for my music.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:42 pm

I mostly use ThumbsPlus 7 (Cerious Software). They are about to release ver. 8, but I declined to beta-test this, due to time issues.

Next, I use Bridge.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:58 pm

I use iTunes for music, with over 10,000 mp3s I need something :-8

Next comes Bridge, never have gotten comfortable with the Organizer in Photoshop Elements.
I look at Bridge as a combination of Windows Explorer and the PSE Organizer.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Helen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:17 pm

I use the PSE organizer for all my photos. I like the tagging and all my photos can be found in no time at all. I have started tagging my video clips using a separate catalogue.
Use Itunes for music.
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Spot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:18 pm

PSE:
Tried the PSE organizer but find it very annoying because it doesn't automatically update itself with your drive contents, and then has a heart attack if it can't find an image. This may have been fixed with later versions?
Bridge:
I really like Bridge in principle and the way it works, just find it slooowwww for browsing. Each time I open a different folder it has to rebuild its thumbnails or rearrange its sock drawers or something!
Picasa:
Keep coming back to Picasa! Its very fast and instantly adds new images no matter how they were added to watched folders. Some of the quick fixes (especially red-eye) are handy sometimes. Very good free tool!

JB
Woof
Spot

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:14 pm

Spot wrote:Each time I open a different folder it has to rebuild its thumbnails or rearrange its sock drawers or something!

JB

Hi JB,
You need to save/cache the thumbnails, then it won't have to redraw them anymore ;)
I am dealing with 1000s of motion backgrounds for muvipix, not to mention my own video, and had the same problem.
Then I figured out that the thumbnail views could be saved, that made a world of difference.
I think it is - Tools/Cache/Build and Export Cache

If anyone else can confirm that it would be a huge help ;)

You can also control how quick the thumbnails are originally drawn in Edit/Preferences/Thumbnails.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Spot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:08 pm

Chuck!
You may well have just reinvented my workflow!
I'll be checking this out tonight.
Thanks
JB
Woof
Spot

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:24 am

I'm a Bridge user. I didn't start out that way. I was a long term user of Organizer from back when it was a standalone product called Album. The last version of Organizer I used was the one that shipped with Photoshop Elements 3.

The switch to Bridge was the result of two things. First, I stopped using Photoshop Elements and moved to Photoshop. And second, I started shooting using raw files instead of jpgs. When I first starting using Photoshop, I continued using the PE 3 Organizer, but edited using Photoshop. That worked well while I was mainly using jpgs, and I wasn't too thrilled with the initial release of Bridge anyway -- it was a bit buggy and slow. But, when I began using raw files, it didn't work quite as well. Metadata from the Adobe Camera raw adjustments was stored in a separate file from the associated raw file and Organizer ignored that file. Since Organizer moved your working photo file to a temporary folder while editing, the metadata file was lost unless you manually did the copying to and from that temporary folder. Workable, but not very satisfactory. When Photoshop CS3 was released, I found that Bridge had improved considerably and had become quite usable. I had Organizer write the tags to the files and switched to Bridge. I haven't regretted it.

To be honest, I didnt' have strong ties to Organizer anyway. I didn't use Organizer "Creations", and I didn't use Organizer for printing -- the print module in Organizer was different from the one in Photoshop Elements and didn't do a particularly good job with a color managed work flow. I always got better results printing from Photoshop Elements and later from Photoshop. I found the switch relatively painless. And, now that I've been using Bridge for a while, I feel quite comfortable with it and appreciate all the extra controls and capabilities that Bridge provides. I really haven't had an issue with the thumbnails. The initial time I cached my photo and video directories, it took a while, but now everything is relatively fast. I seldom think about it.
Bob

Postby Bobby » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:07 am

Bill Hunt wrote:I mostly use ThumbsPlus 7 (Cerious Software). They are about to release ver. 8, but I declined to beta-test this, due to time issues.

Next, I use Bridge.

Hunt

Hunt and I always seem to have things in common. I have been a Thumbs Plus user for a very long time, and I also have not been as active as a beta tester for V8 due to time and other constraints. It is worth a look.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:15 am

Bob,

I can't wait to see how Thumbs8 works. I guess that we had our opportunity, but I'm not really into beta-testing much of anything nowadays. In my youth, it was different, as I did not mind setting up a computer just to test a program, and rebuild it, if things went horribly wrong. Not any more.

I'm mostly hoping that it will embrace even more display CODEC's, as I always seem to have some Asset that it chokes on (up to version 7.x). From what I have read, it seems that Cerious is trying to incorporate more image editing power. I do not need that, as I have Photoshop and Painter.

I'm sure that I'll upgrade to Thumbs8 Pro, as soon as it's released and will just put it through its paces. All I really care about is an organizer that handles about every image format and CODEC, that I can throw at it.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob D » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:42 pm

I use PSE6 for cataloging. I almost abandoned it when trying to upgrade from 3 to 6 when it wouldn't catalog all my video backups I did on DVD's. It turned out to be a blessing as I was able to move all the DVD's with the 15+ years of video clips on to external drives. I was able to catalog the video clips in a separate catalog. Now searching and retrieving clips is much easier. So now I have two catalogs within PSE6 - one for photos, and one for videos.

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Hunt, I have actually been testing all the V8 beta releases, just not as actively as I usually do. There are many changes and there will probably some a bit of a learning curve when you get it.

I cherish the ThumbsPlus sweatshirt I got for being a beta tester for a previous version.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tools