They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

tablet - how to use; what to use

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

tablet - how to use; what to use

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:24 am

i just spent a ton of time trying to isolate a mountain goat in psel - confirmed to me that i need to think seriously about a tablet thingy. i know nothing about them, like what i can use them for and what features are good (i don't think i need great features - not yet anyway). what works with vista 64-bit and what doesn't involve messy drivers and what works super nice with psel and prel (what would i use it for in prel?).

see? i know nothin' about them...so any advice would be appreciated. i'm going to sleep now but please feel free to discuss amongst yourselves and i'll check back when i wake up. :)

it's so nice having a forum of people around the world 'cuz there's always someone in here, no matter what time it is! THANKS for any opinions/advice/etc.
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: tablet - how to use; what to use

Postby Vera S » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:48 am

We discussed this a while ago, perhaps this might help

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4050&hilit=wacom
DELL 9150, D 930, 2 GB Ram, 2 160 SATA HD, Nvidia 7900 GS - Panasonic NV-GS 75 - Canon Powershot S 80 - WinXP Prof SP3
Vera S
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:16 am

That's a great discussion. Well worth reading.

Tablets are great additions to your computer, I've used one for years. Tablets are basically input/pointing devices -- like a mouse. The primary difference being that a tablet can use a pen which is more natural to draw with. You've spent the majority of your life working with a pen or pencil and have probably developed a lot of fine motor control which you can put to use. Writing or drawing with a mouse uses different muscles and is very awkward and difficult to control in comparison. In addition, tablets support pressure sensitivity with the pen and applications like Photoshop that recognize the pressure information can utilize that information to control things like brush size, for example. All tablets come with pens and some models also include a wireless mouse which you can use on the tablet surface. You can also use your existing mouse and still be able to use your tablet. Or, you can use your tablet exclusively and dispense with the mouse. Your preference.

While there are a number of tablet brands on the market, I'd recommend sticking with Wacom. Wacom makes a high quality tablet and is very good about updating their drivers promptly to be compatible with changes in the operating system and work closely with Adobe in supporting features of Photoshop. Wacom drivers are compatible with Windows XP and Vista including the 64 bit version.

As you are just starting out, I'd recommend looking at the Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet. Especially if you want to watch your budget. That model comes with both a pen and a wireless mouse and includes Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 Win/6.0 Mac, Corel Painter Essentials 4.0, and Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 WE. You don't need to install the bundled PSE, it will work with the one you already have. But, you may want to use the Nik software. The Intuos is a much better tablet, but it is also considerably more expensive. You can always upgrade later if you find you really want the additional resolution and features. And, should you decide that a tablet just isn't for you, you haven't sunk that much capitol into it. As for size, the small 4x6 inch tablet is probably adequate unless you make very large gestures or "draw from the elbow" instead of from the wrist. But, that's a personal decision, you'll need to decide what's comfortable for you. As you can see from the discussion Vera linked to, people vary considerably in their preferences.

It takes a while to get used to the tablet. But, give it a solid workout and within a week or so you'll feel right at home with it. One thing to watch out for, tablets can be set to work in relative or "mouse mode" or absolute mode. In "mouse mode", the tablet works like a mouse. Lift the pen and move to a different location on the tablet and when you set it down the cursor with still be in the same position -- just like a mouse works. In absolute mode, the cursor follows the pen and each point on the tablet corresponds to a point on the screen. Normally, you would use absolute mode unless working with the mouse or want the pen to behave like a mouse. You can also program the tablet to have different functions for the keypads and buttons for specific applications if you like.

As for Prel, it was designed to be able to be used with mouse and doesn't provide any tablet specific features. However, I find, for me, a pen is easier when selecting groups of clips on the timeline, selecting and dragging keyframes, and adjusting control points in effects that place an adjustible target on the monitor. Otherwise, I use it just like a mouse.
Bob

Postby Bill Hunt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:01 pm

I've also used one from back in the Wacom ArtZ II days, when they were serial devices. I would not be without one, though I use all of mine in Photoshop and Painter, I hardly ever use it for Premiere, or other programs, like Illustrator, Encore, Flash or InDesign. Even in AfterEffects, I've only used it a bit.

For an image processing/drawing program, I would never go back. For point-n-drag applications, I still go with my MS, or my Logitech mouse. I have yet to get a Wacom mouse that I really liked. The one for my Intuos III is still in its box.

I'm a big fan of the larger tablets, though many swear by the smaller units. If one draws with their fingers, the smaller tablets seem to work better. Same for people, who put them in their laps. I like mine on the desk, and draw with my arm, so the extra real estate and control is appreciated.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:39 pm

I don't know how I lived with out one! Great for working in PSE to erase or draw a selection. I always use mine in PE3/PrPro for editing. Easy to drag & drop, trim, apply effects, scrub the numbers, etc. Saves on the wrist!

The guy at BB told me to expect about a month to get used to it. But, it took only about 1 week.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:40 pm

I've had a Wacom Bamboo for about a year and love it for doing detailed work in Photoshop.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Tools