They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

CODEC Converter

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

CODEC Converter

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:03 am

I have the KLite codec pack installed but have a missing codec.

What I am trying to do is convert a video file from a .mkv to something that I can more easily use. Any recommendations welcome.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: CODEC Converter

Postby Bob » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:08 am

John,

".mkv" is a container format, not a codec. You can read about it here: http://www.matroska.org/index.html. Like other container formats, it can contain different streams each with it's own codec. The Matroska people feel their container is the end all of container formats and don't provide much in the way of conversion tools. Matroska is pretty popular among fans of anime. Unless support is built-in, you generally need the CCCP codec pack which doesn't play well with other codec packs (e.g. k-lite) and you need to uninstall them. I don't fool around with Matroska, so I can't direct you to a conversion tool. And, I'm not sure if the CCCP pack alone will be sufficient or whether it will work with or cause problems with Premiere Elements. You might be able to get by with a matroska media splitter like the Haali splitter and your existing codec pack. But, I don't know. Take a look at the Matroska site, especially the downloads page, and see if there is something there that you can use. You can also try Google.

Maybe someone (RJ Johnston perhaps???) has worked with it and can offer some tips/insights.

Good luck with it!
Bob

Postby Ron » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:22 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:I have the KLite codec pack installed but have a missing codec.

What I am trying to do is convert a video file from a .mkv to something that I can more easily use. Any recommendations welcome.

I believe the latest version of Super will convert it.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:19 am

Thanks for that Ron. Looking into it as soon as I finish here. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:22 pm

AVIDemux can read MKV files and also create them. It's free. What I did was take a DV-AVI file and convert it to Xvid4 video and MP3 audio streams in a MKV container. AVIDemux was able to read it back.

http://www.avidemux.org
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Thanks RJ. Will explore that.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:57 pm

I was just trying to convert the MKV back to DV-AVI, but AVIDemux only supports export to DV in PAL 720x576 format.

VirtualDubMod has support for MKV. What's inside the MKV will determine if VDM crashes or not. I was able to read the MKV in VDMod using the AVISynth template DirectShowSource. Some other MKV's I created wouldn't open in VDM no matter if I used a template or not. I got an error message that there wasn't a video stream.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:52 pm

I discovered that when trying to open MKV files with VirtualDubMod using the avisynth template, that If I get a "video stream not found" error, that if I open it a second time, it loads without that error.

I also created my own DirectShowSource template stating what the frame rate should be, as AVISynth didn't know what the frame rate should be.

In Notepad I have these two lines:

#ASYNTHER DirectShowSource fps=29.97
[DirectShowSource("%f", fps=29.97)]

Then I saved that to the Template folder within the VirtualDubMod folder, where all the other .avst templates are located.

VirtualDubMod was using my CoreAVC codec to decode the MKV file, but I put that codec at a lower priority, and then DivX became the next codec used. I was using GraphEdt to tell me what codecs were used.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tools