They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audacity Recording Setup Question

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Audacity Recording Setup Question

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:26 am

This is probably aimed at Chuck Engles, as he has done the three Audacity tutorials.

I've used Audacity for some years, but only to work on existing WAV files. I have never used it for "recording." Following along with Tutorial #1, "Recording in Audacity," I seem to have a setup problem with my version. Using Chuck's tips in Tutorial #2, I have attempted to find where my Preferences might be off, but can't locate it.

My problem is with setting the choice of sources. In my Audacity workspace, this drop-down is greyed out and totally inactive. Right now, I'm working on my laptop, which has the Realtek chip for Audio. I have set both the Windows Audio Mapper and the Realtek Audio in my Preferences, but have not been able to activate the Source drop-down - stays greyed out.

I feel certain that this is just a setting someplace, but I have not found it, or have not selected the right combo of choices. Please point me to my error.

Thanks,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Audacity Recording Setup Question

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:03 pm

Well, it seems that I have answered my own question. Though my Realtek High Def Audio driver was 09/08, there was a newer one. Installed, re-booted and Audacity is now functioning as I had expected, from Chuck's tutorials. It goes to show that even a month of time can yield newer drivers for various components. It might also have been the re-boot, but now the driver is updated with last Tuesday's latest version.

That is why the FAQ's point out the need to update all necessary drivers, maybe even on a weekly basis.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:24 pm

I wonder what would have happened if you just reinstalled the version you already had. Seems like Realtek is not a very stable driver and may have broken. Quicktime is another one that seems to break easily.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:12 pm

Whatever the fix was I'm glad you got it working Hunt :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Robert,

Pursuant to your comment, I did check QT and it seems to be working.

I, too, have had problems with Realtek drivers, but on this laptop, I don't have too many choices. I'm looking into a USB sound "card," and will see how that works out.

Thanks for the H/U

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tools