They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Phantom Burner -- Save Blu-Ray to Folder

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Phantom Burner -- Save Blu-Ray to Folder

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:01 pm

Phantom Burner, http://www.phantomdrive.de/en, will allow you to burn a blu-ray disc to a "folder" from Premiere Elements 4 and 7. It creates an ISO file that you can mount on the virtual drive. If you have Windows XP, you won't be able to read the disc unless you install Nero InCD READER with UDF 2.5 or higher (free). Vista users won't need that.

Someone was asking about burning an AVCHD Disc for use with the Playstaion. I was wondering if you could take the blu-ray file structure burned by Premiere Elements and burn a data DVD with it. See step 9: http://www.wfu.edu/~yipcw/atg/hdv/avchd/disc/

I recently tried purchasing a license for Phantom Burner, "Your Virtual Burner For All Optical Disc Formats," but I had trouble with the ordering phase. It turns out that after entering my name and address information, I had to wait for them to email me a password that would be needed in the next step of ordering. I ended up with three passwords for each of the three times I tried to order. Then when ordering, there is a barely visible link to log in for people who already have a password. Then I tried ordering by PayPal, and that failed. Finally I ordered by credit card.

When I received an email with my license key, the links to download the full version didn't work. What I had to do is copy the entire email and paste it into Wordpad where I could select and copy the links and paste into Start > Run. That worked. You get to download the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Phantom Burner -- Save Blu-Ray to Folder

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:47 pm

This is such a helpful find, Robert, I've taken the liberty of making it a "sticky"!

Thanks again for sharing finds like this.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:49 am

I burned a Blu-ray "Phantom" disc this evening using Premiere Elements 7. I only have standard DV-AVI 720x480 video to put on the timeline, but it sures comes out looking good after being upscaled. I don't have an actual Blu-ray set top player or a PC video player, such as PowerDVD, to play back the disc, but I can play back the .m2ts streams in Windows Media Player 11 (I have the codecs). I was somewhat shocked to see such good quality upscaling, it even looks like it's been sharpened.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:09 pm

I found that the .m2ts files created by PRE 7 when you export to Blu-ray disc with h.264 video can be smart rendered in Nero Vision to create an AVCHD disc on regular DVD. I was able to play the AVCHD disc on my PC, using WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray, where I cannot play a Blu-ray Disc because my computer doesn't meet the minimum specs for Blu-ray. The discs I used were all virtual discs "burned" using Phantom Drive. No physical discs were used in these tests.

I've been saying "Phantom Burner," but it's actually "Phantom Drive." There is a "Phantom Burner" as well.

So far I haven't been able to take the Blu-ray folder structure created by Premiere Elements and burn it to a regular DVD with UDF 2.5 and have it play back as an AVCHD disc. But you can definitely take the .m2ts movie file and use other editors with smart rendering to create an AVCHD disc.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:26 pm

I use the H.264 export files from PE7 and smart-render and burn them in ULEAD DVD Moviefactory to an AVCHD disc. Easier than having to go through the burn to Blu-ray image file step in PE7.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:54 pm

That would be easier, Paul, but I couldn't get my video to look as good as it does when I go the Blu-ray disc route.

Edit: Also, I get Dolby Stereo that is also smart rendered in Nero Vision.

Edit: For an AVCHD disc on DVD, Nero Vision will not smart render the h.264 exported from PRE 7 using the Apple iPod preset and changing advanced settings to match the info displayed by MediaInfo for the Blu-ray version.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:07 am

Yes NERO will not smart render the High Definition H.264 preset export from PE7 (haven't tried the Ipod preset), there is an earlier thread where this was discussed, that is why I recommended using DVD Moviefactory for smart rendering and burning AVCHD DVDs. Also the menus are not quite as cheesy as the NERO ones.

I will give the Blu-ray export a try and compare the quality... not really sure why there should be a difference. But there is obviously some difference if NERO will not smart render the H.264 .m2t high definition export but it will the Blu-ray .m2ts
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:44 am

As for the Nero menus, they have improved quite a bit on that. You can pick your own backgrounds, create menus with buttons that you can link to other menus yourself, pick your buttons from a list of many, something similar to Sony Vegas Movie Studio. You get more options than you do in Premiere Elements.

This is why Phantom Drive is so handy. You can test all these things out and not waste a single disc, especially a Blu-ray disc -- which I have none of anyway, nor a Blu-ray burner.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Just came across this.

In addition to Phantom Burner, there is another product that burns virtual Blu-ray discs named Virtual-CD, from the same company H+H Software GmbH. Instead of one virtual drive, you can have up to 23 virtual drives going at once.

http://www.virtualcd-online.com/
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tools