They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Some FX not showing in PE1

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Some FX not showing in PE1

Postby William Tranter » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:20 am

I have PE2 on my Sony Vaio laptop, but still only have PE1 on my study machine which is the one used for video editing.

Today I took delivery of 'PE2 In A Snap' and then downloaded the added chapters on Transitions and Effects (and the Setting Preferences one as well), which is really what I bought the book for in the first place, because some of the FX are rather vague, to say the least!

Anyway, wonderful book, very helpful!

I found in the FX add-on chapter that there is a very good Page Curl effect, and when I booted up PE2 on the laptop and tried it out there, I found it to be a very useful effect/transition indeed.

However, on the Study machine (which has a 3.2GHz P4 processor, with 320Gig Drive C, 160Gig Drive D (for video), 320Gig Drive E (for audio, sound tracks, etc), plus several other HDrives for Backups, etc.) the GPU Effects (which Page Curl comes under) does not show up.

My Graphics card is a Matrox Parhelia 128Mb, which drives two Iiyama monitors to give me enough real estate on which to edit.

The FX chapter does say at the top of the GPU effects descriptions that the GPU effects only show up if your graphics card supports them, which I would have thought mine would. I checked in the Program files to see if they were there, and they are, but of a different color to the others - could this be showing that they are not able to be used?

Can anyone shed more light on this, please?

All the best,
Bill :(
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ed » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:09 am

I still use PE1. I'll look when I get home after work to see if they show up for me.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:14 am

Two things I would try are updating the video card driver (maybe you've done this already?) and I'd be curious to see if Ver. 2 would pick up the GPU effects on your study machine.

This page will start you through finding the appropriate driver
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby William Tranter » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:31 am

I haven't yet updated my graphics card driver, because when I located an update a message came up saying that I had to uninstall the old driver first. This is where I get confused, because at the moment my Matrox card is driving two VDUs.
Do I have to switch the second VDU off (via software, not the power switch!) before uninstalling the old driver, and if I do uninstall it (through Control Panel/Uninstall programs) what will then provide the screen driver in the meantime? Will the new driver do what the old driver does?
You can see my confusion - I'm NOT a computer nerd who knows all the answers, just a computer user who gets very anxious when anything is done to the computer because every time something goes wrong (and it inevitably does!) it costs me a GREAT deal of money to be fixed.
PE2 on my laptop was installed by Sony, so I don't have a program and driver disc which I could use on the Study machine.
I'm awaiting a phone call from my computer 'guru' who may be able to sort me out, but he's not in his office at present.
I'll let you know when/if I get the study computer sorted out.
The Page Curl effect, as seen on the laptop, is brilliant, only bettered by the Squirlz Water Reflections software which I downloaded yesterday. This effect is absolutely brilliant! I know it can't be used on video, because it is making a video from a still photograph, so it might be possible to layer the video of the moving water over the top of a video clip of a still water lake, especially if the photograph was captured from the video in the first place. You'd have to use a Track Matte, but I know how to do that now, thanks to Steve Grisetti, the oh-great-one!
All the best,
Bill
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:45 pm

I think you are wise to be careful Bill, and wise to do your research before installing. Hope you post back your results after talking with your guru. Really is the smart way to go.

The page curl really is great and if you mix it with some well placed sound effects it comes off pretty good. Here's an implementation of a preset I use for page curl. here

Beth has a great preset for page curl in the gallery (actually two! Did you know you can apply the effect more than once to the same clip!)
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tools