They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Fantamorph

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Fantamorph

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:48 pm

Thought I would start its own thread, a discussion under pre-wedding slideshow.

Jamal (or anyone), I downloaded the trial version of Fantamorph and will buy the Pro version. Still not sure of the frame rate settings in Fantamorph and a few other questions:

1. Using about 12 pics for the morph sequence. Would like the finished piece to be about 3 secs/pic w/the morph transition about 2 secs. (Ends up with 1 sec of pic that is still and 2 secs morphing) Not sure what settings to use in Fantamorph. Yours was a lot faster, but you had more pics.

2. Roughly, about how many green dots. Was thinking around 4 for eyebrows, 4 for each eye, 7 for nose, 8 for mouth, and about 8 to 10 from ear to chin to ear. Sound about right?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Fantamorph

Postby Wheat King » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:04 pm

momoffduty wrote:Thought I would start its own thread, a discussion under pre-wedding slideshow.

Jamal (or anyone), I downloaded the trial version of Fantamorph and will buy the Pro version. Still not sure of the frame rate settings in Fantamorph and a few other questions:

1. Using about 12 pics for the morph sequence. Would like the finished piece to be about 3 secs/pic w/the morph transition about 2 secs. (Ends up with 1 sec of pic that is still and 2 secs morphing) Not sure what settings to use in Fantamorph. Yours was a lot faster, but you had more pics.

2. Roughly, about how many green dots. Was thinking around 4 for eyebrows, 4 for each eye, 7 for nose, 8 for mouth, and about 8 to 10 from ear to chin to ear. Sound about right?

Frame rate Settings. You mean all 12 pictures in 3 secs? or do you mean 3 seconds from picture to picture?

Regarding the green dots I found the more the better but not overdoing it important as well (you don't want it to be difficult to manage)
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:24 pm

Each pic would be 3 sec with a 2 sec overlap transition that would equal 1 sec of each pic. When I was practicing with Winmorph that seemed to be a good length for my project. Hope I am making sense. :)

Did you recommend putting the green dots on the facial features only, or should I add the top of head, hair, shoulders too?

On your project, you exported as an image sequence to keep the transparency on the Tif files. Are there settings to export as an AVI and keep the transparency?

Will research more on their site. This program is easier to use than Winmorph. Plus I think it helped that I cut out and scaled/positioned each Tif file to line up pretty good. Lots of prep work!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Wheat King » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:06 pm

momoffduty wrote:Each pic would be 3 sec with a 2 sec overlap transition that would equal 1 sec of each pic. When I was practicing with Winmorph that seemed to be a good length for my project. Hope I am making sense. :)

Did you recommend putting the green dots on the facial features only, or should I add the top of head, hair, shoulders too?

I started with just the facial features, but found that the morph seemed much smoother when I added quite a few around the outside.
FantaMorphExample.jpg

On your project, you exported as an image sequence to keep the transparency on the Tif files. Are there settings to export as an AVI and keep the transparency?

The Tif files was the only way I could find to maintain transparency in Version 3. But they've since upgraded to version 4. ( The upgrade was free BTW) I did some experiments with Ver 4 and did not find a way to export the Avi with Transparecy. However, what you could do is ... Export the Image sequence... Bring it in to new premiere elements project. and then export this as an avi with transparency. Then obiously bring this into your final project where you easily add effects AND play with the length using the time stretch tool.

Will research more on their site. This program is easier to use than Winmorph. Plus I think it helped that I cut out and scaled/positioned each Tif file to line up pretty good. Lots of prep work!

Have you found their forum? It wasn't very active but I did find some answers there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:32 pm

Couple other things I forgot to mention...

When you are working around the edges. I found it helpful to use the View Triangles under the view menu. For the edges you don't have to be precise but make sure that the triangles don't cross each other.

Be very precise around the eyes and mouth as they draw the most attention. Zoom in as close as you can and place your points very carefully.

If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse use it to quickly zoom in and out
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks Jamal!!!! For your visuals as usual too!!!

I played with it a bit yesterday and no settings for transparent AVI. There are settings for the frames to hold on pic and the morphing sequence. Trying out a short sequence to get the settings right before I do all of the pics. This is much smoother than the other free program.

Thanks again, very much appreciated!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:57 am

Figured out the sequence. In Fantamorph changed the settings to morph 30 frames and stay on pic 15. Doesn't matter, wanted a 2:1 ratio. Then in PE3 w/create slideshow changed the setting from 90 to 2. Looks like the pace I wanted. :-D
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Wheat King » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:56 pm

momoffduty wrote:Figured out the sequence. In Fantamorph changed the settings to morph 30 frames and stay on pic 15. Doesn't matter, wanted a 2:1 ratio. Then in PE3 w/create slideshow changed the setting from 90 to 2. Looks like the pace I wanted. :-D

When you say "Stay on Pic 15" I think this is a new feature in Vers ion 4 that I haven't explored yet. So I have question for you. Does this mean that the morph occurs from picture 1 to picture 2 in the first 15 frames and then displays picture 2 for the final 15 frames? If so, going to explore that for my next project that could definitly add to the effect to have a slight pausing between morphs. :cool:
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:38 pm

Version 4: On the left side of the combined view window there is a button for 'sequence length'. A pop up box allows you to set:

Morphing frames, Stay on Image 1, Stay on Image 2, and to the right check boxes to "Set for All Sequences"

The default is Morphing frames 15, Stay on Image 1 or 2 is "0". I changed that to Morphing frames 30, and the others to 15 giving me a 2:1 ratio. Guess I could set it lower so that it doesn't generate beau-coup frames. Can always adjust the frame number later in PE3 by taking the stills off the timeline and regenerating another slideshow sequence.

I noticed that I can save the project in Fantamorph and go back and change the above frames. Good for experimenting. Think I read that you can only have up to 999 frames from one project. Which is plenty.

So the above will give you a pause between morphs. I am only using 12 pics and wanted to slow it down a bit. Of course, like you said, can always time stretch by making the slideshow into an AVI file.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Sorry, forgot.....with the morphing at 30 and the stay on pic 15 and the PE3 set at 2 frames...this translates in PE3 as morphing for 2 secs and pause on pic at 1 sec.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Wheat King » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Cool! Thanks! :-5
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:58 pm

Thanks Jamal too! Just finished set of 13 seq....took longer in PS to cut out/size etc. than placing all those dots. Now I see green dots everywhere! :mrgreen:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Wheat King » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:06 pm

momoffduty wrote:Thanks Jamal too! Just finished set of 13 seq....took longer in PS to cut out/size etc. than placing all those dots.

Believe me the prep work was worth it. I did my first ever project with no prep.... it was painful...

Now I see green dots everywhere! :mrgreen:

img0203
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Well danced too soon. I exported the project as image sequence and TIF. Changed the settings to 15 morph and 7/image equaling roughly 385 frames. Came back 2 hours later and it still wasn't done and no change on the export progress bar. I tried to export current sequence only and that was 29 frames total and it exported in a matter of seconds. Hmmm.

How long did it take your project of 18 pics to export? If I can't get the whole thing to export at once, guess I could export each sequence and then piece it together in PE3.

So frustrating...thought I had this thing down!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Wheat King » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:31 pm

momoffduty wrote:How long did it take your project of 18 pics to export?

hmmm definitly not that long. Exporting the sequences was literally minutes for me. I'm gonna try my big project in Ver 4
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Tools