They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

REVIEW: ScanMyPhotos.com

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

REVIEW: ScanMyPhotos.com

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:39 pm

I am a recent customer of ScanMyPhotos.com and want to share my experience.

TL;DR...I recommend them and would use them again.

I had hundreds of old photos scattered across many albums and boxes, so I decided to gather them up and have them scanned. I paid for 600dpi scanning, "Photo Soap" cleanup processing of scanned images, and a few dollars extra for a USB thumb drive of the images. There was a coupon on the website at the time of my order and I think the whole deal was around $160, which included shipping.

I was sent a USPS Priority Mail box to place the photos in, along with packing instructions. I read the instructions twice but still managed to get it wrong. I grouped photos according to size and I placed an index card at the front of each bundle to indicate the date of the following photos. Turns out that is not how they wanted them packaged and I had to pay extra for their "Scan In Order" service, but it was only $34 with 50% off so it wasn't too bad. I managed to get 880 photos in the box, most were 4x6. I had extra room in the box so I could have put more in there if needed.

I shipped the photos out on a Thursday and two weeks later my photos were returned to me along with a DVD and thumb drive with the images. (I may have gotten them back sooner if I didn't pack the photos wrong to begin with.) They packed the photos more carefully than I did! Scans are great, no issues found so far. Now I just have to pull them into Lightroom and start tagging.

Great customer service, great results, and I would use them again. I'm a happy customer! :TU:
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: REVIEW: ScanMyPhotos.com

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:44 am

Always great to hear a good review of a service, Ron! Thanks for sharing your experience.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:49 am

Ron This is really cool we just came across loads of family photos that are in need of scanning. Looks like thanks to you we have a proven solution.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:51 am

It looks like photo scans range from about 12 to 16 cents per photo, although they also have some very nice package deals.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:22 pm

:TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Yes, I got a package deal where all photos that fit in the box were scanned. You should be able to get at least 1000 pictures in the "package deal" box with no problem, maybe more depending on size and how you pack. I got almost 900 in the box; that represented all of my photos and there was room left over.

And they have really generous coupons on the site too. I think I saved 50% on my order.

I sorted my photos according to year, put an index card on top of each year's bundle, and rubber-banded each bundle. What I discovered after the fact is that my approach required their "Scan In Order" service (extra $), but it was worth it because having the photos sorted by year made the Lightroom import process easier.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tools