They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

LED light recomendation

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Re: LED light recomendation

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:18 am

The light is powered by 4 AA batteries so it does not draw power from the hot shoe. However, when in flash mode, the light does interface with the electrical contacts in the camera's hot shoe. If you half-press the shutter release button the light comes on for preview/modeling and when the button is pressed all the way to take the photo, the flash fires. The ring light is not intelligent and doesn't make use of through the lens flash metering. It's basically a manual flash. If you camera has a setting for the type of flash, it should be set to manual rather than TTL or other auto mode. The flash feature is not very fast -- more like a flash bulb than an electronic flash. The shutter needs to be slow (less than a 200th of a second) or you'll cut off light.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Another DIY

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsd5b9p19nM[/youtube]

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:32 pm

_Paz_ wrote:Thanks, Mom. Funny thing. It showed up as $48 on Amazon for me until I clicked your link.

Hope you enjoy it... can't wait for more doggies! :yh:

It is less if you have Amazon Prime. Little guy is getting fixed next week so no dog videos for awhile.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Sidd, another great DIY find.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:45 am

It is less if you have Amazon Prime.

I do. That one just didn't come up for me. Maybe I specified 'for Canon' in my search.

The CRI of 95 should be very near 'daylight' natural color. 100 would be ideal but I don't think more than around 97 is available.

If you do NOT want the circular catch lights, you can put a diffuser over the lights. I've seen people use coffee filters, paper towels, gauzy fabric, a sheet of the plastic backing in a bacon package, etc. when they are shooting macro.

Hope your little guy does well.

Sidd,

Yes, good find!
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:27 pm

_Paz_ wrote:
If you do NOT want the circular catch lights, you can put a diffuser over the lights. I've seen people use coffee filters, paper towels, gauzy fabric, a sheet of the plastic backing in a bacon package, etc. when they are shooting macro.

Great ideas Paz! Thanks. My halo arrived today. :-D
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:49 pm

The light is powered by 4 AA batteries so it does not draw power from the hot shoe. However, when in flash mode, the light does interface with the electrical contacts in the camera's hot shoe. If you half-press the shutter release button the light comes on for preview/modeling and when the button is pressed all the way to take the photo, the flash fires. The ring light is not intelligent and doesn't make use of through the lens flash metering. It's basically a manual flash. If you camera has a setting for the type of flash, it should be set to manual rather than TTL or other auto mode. The flash feature is not very fast -- more like a flash bulb than an electronic flash. The shutter needs to be slow (less than a 200th of a second) or you'll cut off light.

Thanks for the explanation - information, Bob. Good to hear that the hot shoe connection is not mandatory as I often have other equipment connected to the shoe.

>>Arrived today

Congrats to you both! So tempting!
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:44 am

Anyone try out their light ring? The light is only good for a very short distance. Here is my attempt.

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/DKDN2J]Image[/url]Orchid yellow by Cheryl, on Flickr[/url]
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:45 pm

That light looks like it works pretty well. The image is nice and clear and pretty evenly lit.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:02 pm

What Sidd said. And the colors look natural.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:10 am

The ring does a good job on even lighting. I did not adjust WB, must be the LED?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Looks good! To my eyes, it looks a little bit on the blue side. That's undoubtedly the LEDs. I'd adjust the WB to warm it up just a tad. I'd also use the Levels adjustment and set the white point to where the right end of histogram ends to give it a little more pop.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about -- original on the left, WB + white point on the right. I don't have a clue as to how yellow the orchid was, This is probably way overdone; I pushed the WB adjustment a bit on the heavy side to emphasize the difference. But, it's easy enough to set the WB where you like it.

WB.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:40 pm

The yellow is too much yellow. Hard to tell when you don't have my plant in front of you. :-D When I see my original full screen it looks as it should, but as a .jpg on the net it looks a tad underexposed. The #'s on the center of the white part is higher in the blue range (in my photo). All in all, I am happy with the light for macro work. I don't think it throws enough light for video though. Looking forward to this summer and trying it out in the garden.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:23 am

FWIW, I've looked 'hard' enough at these while painting to have a pretty good idea about the color. I think they both look right. Mom's looks right under natural daylight. Bob's looks right if seen indoors under incandescent light, to me.

I agree that a little brightening, or perhaps increasing the contrast can enhance the image. The lighting, being straight on, looks a little flat. I have no doubt that's what it looked like... but since we have the capacity to edit - why not add a little drama?
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Paz, I think you nailed it....flat lighting. The LED does a great job for even light source, but lacks the natural sunlit spectrum.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

PreviousNext

Return to Tools