They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The New Prodad Mercalli SAL V4

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

The New Prodad Mercalli SAL V4

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:28 pm

In case you've don't receive notifications from Prodad, two days ago I received a notice about their video optimization product Mercalli SAL V4 + (that's a plus sign on the end). Upgrade cost me $130.50 (ouch) after entering coupon code in checkout: xmas2014-25. That coupon code probably won't work for you, as I now see Prodad has come out with another notice that the Christmas code doesn't apply to Mercalli SAL V4 + because there is already a 25% discount on it. I guess I was lucky.

You can download a trial version, which puts a Prodad logo on the stabilized media. [url]http:\\www.prodad.com\[/url]

Some of the new items I noticed so far: There is now lens correction, dynamic stabilization, noise/sharpen filter, greatly improved CMOS analysis and correction. I was astonished at the results. This makes Mercalli SAL V3 obsolete. With dynamic stabilization, the amount of zoom is kept to a minimum. Instead of applying one zoom level to an entire clip, V4 will adjust the zoom so that the parts of a video that are the least shakiest aren't zoomed in to the same level as the amounts needed for the shakiest parts. V4 produces much sharper and smoother video than V3.

You can do batches. After adding one or more videos to a batch, you can then click the button to export the stabilized media. Mercalli will analyze each video automatically and apply what it considers to be the best settings before the export. This feature is in V3 as well, but now the results are better.

Happy editing.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: The New Prodad Mercalli SAL V4

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:28 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCczg3iJ3vQ&list=PLstKIRcOnFamar3OILP_r1_mR89YfkqdG[/youtube]

The differences in the speedometer are pretty impressive, RJ. Thanks for posting.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks _Paz_. There are actually 12 videos in the playlist. Some of my mother's videos are much worse. They aren't perfect after correction, but they are very watchable.

Since yesterday I discovered that you can now add the same video more than once to the batch list. That couldn't be done in V3. If you tried to add the same video, you got an error message that the file was already in the list. This would be handy if you wanted to test the difference among the various camera paths and with different in and out points. You can walk away while all the variations are being processed. You can also combine the videos when you export. Even if you have only one video, by using the "combine" option, you get the chance to change the output file name to whatever you want. In V3 you had to settle for the original filename or the original filename with " - Mercalli" appended.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:34 pm

Wow, that speedometer is an amazing correction! Now we know how footage in car commercials is soooo smooth.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tools