They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Question on Labeling DVD's and Blu rays

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Question on Labeling DVD's and Blu rays

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:04 pm

What is the best way to label or cover a disk (DVD) (Blu ray) so that they look professionally covered and not cheap? Is this accomplished through software, or hard ware, or both? Also, is anyone aware of a company that can accomplish this effectively and afford-ably? I have a Lightscribe burner for DVD's, but I don't know if it would work for Blu ray, also, I don't know that I would classify the results as professional.
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Re: Question on Labeling DVD's and Blu rays

Postby Chris B » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Inkjet printable DVDs and BluRays produce good results. Some people have suggested a clear waterproofing spray to provide a better final finish.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:54 pm

You can only use Lightscribe on discs designed for the process -- they have a special coating on the side to be etched. Only DVD Lightscribe discs are available, not Blu-ray.
Bob

Postby Kent Frost » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:10 pm

I've been using Mixonic for the final discs in my collection, and I've had great luck. They're professional labels like you'd buy from a major studio, so not susceptible to things like water as you would would inkjet. There is no minimum, so you can order a single disc if you want, and I've never had one fail on me (yet), but according to reviews they're good about getting replacements out in the case a failed burn occurs.

In addition to the label, we also put our discs in cases that come from Black River Imaging here in Springfield, Missouri. They're glossy photo hard cover cases with magnets built in to snap the case closed. Great quality. We give these to our photo clients. :)

All in all, you're looking at about $15 for one disc shipped, and the case runs $27 but we don't pay shipping since we pick it up, so add another $5-7 for shipping if needed.
It's a bit steep, but if you have something you want archived and looks good on a shelf or mantle, this is a good way to go IMHO.

Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:34 am

Kent, I agree with you that these disk and cases look professional, and awesome. You mention that you have used Mixonic for the final disc in your collection, and the quality is superior. The cost is approaching $49.00 if I understand you correctly. I like what I see, I just have to think about the return on investment and decide if it is the best option for my business. What is the turn time from order to delivery? Thanks by the way for telling me about this.
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Return to Tools