They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Capture With Canopus ADVC Product

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Capture With Canopus ADVC Product

Postby Avagadro1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:44 am

Capture Question

I wish to convert VHS tape to DVD; I just purchased Adobe Premier Elements 11. I also just purchased (on ebay) a Canopus ADVC-110. (It has not arrived yet, so I am going only by what I’ve read hear and there). The reason I purchased the ADVC-110 rather than the less expensive ADVC-55 was due to the addition of a composite output that may be connected to a TV (not a computer monitor) during the capture process, which in turn allows one to monitor the capturing. I can envision how that may be helpful.

Last night I read the following in Steve Grisetti’s book:
In capturing through a DV bridge such as the Canopus ADVC, “since there’s no direct connection between you video source device and the computer, you won’t be able to control the device with the Capture Monitor’s playback controls or break scenes by timecode.”

I’m confused. In Steve’s comment, (i) is the “source device” the VCR machine or the Canopus ADVC-110?, and (ii) what is the “Capture Monitor”, which has playback controls?

Thanks for any help or further explanation.

Howard
Avagadro1

Re: Capture With Canopus ADVC Product

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:02 pm

When you capture directly from a DV camcorder (source device) you can use the controls in Premiere Elements to control camcorder functions such as Stop, Play, FF, or REW. In this case the source device that Steve is referring to is the VCR, which can't be controlled like that. You have to control the VCR with its own controls (or remote.) However, the Canopus is seen by PrEl as a DV camcorder, and you do have the ability to use Stop and Play (no FF or REW) to determine when the signal is seen by PrEl. You can "play" (preview) the signal in the PrEl monitor without capturing, and then when you're ready to capture you have to click on "Capture." I believe that you may also be able to just click directly on Capture to start the capture without previewing if you want to. Note that the Canopus must be connected and turned on prior to telling PrEl to Add Media and selecting "DV camcorder" or you'll just get an error message telling you that there is no device present.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks for clarifying that, Dave. It's exactly right.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Avagadro1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Thank you, Dave. I understand the issues much better now.

By the way, strictly for purposes of capture, whould you suggest I use that function built into Premier Elements 11, or WinDV (or is it DVwin?) that so many around here seem to use for the capture stage of the VHS to DVD process?

Thanks,

Howard
Avagadro1

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm kind of not on the bandwagon too much with WinDV, not because I have anything against it, but simply because I've never had any problems capturing with any version of PrEl. I have used it on a couple of occasions with no issues and I'm sure it's a good little utility. My suggestion would be to see how PrEl works for you and if you have trouble capturing you can always switch to WinDV as a backup plan. Others' mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to Tools