They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

dropped frames

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

dropped frames

Postby tjodork » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi... I'm capturing video from a Sony Digital 8 camcorder via firewire to my core i7 system with an external hard drive (Seagate GoFlex 3TB drive)
I think the drive is 5400 but I can't seem to find that level of detail in windows 7.
While the drive supports USB3, my computer only supports USB2.
Over the 2 hour capture using WinDV program, I will typically have 1000 dropped frames. I tried going to my internal SATA drive and had no dropped frames.

It seems to me that if the drive can keep up most of the time, why can't it keep up all of the time?
I've ordered a USB3 - PCI card to see if that helps but curious if others can save from firewire to external USB 2 drive OR what else I could do.
Note I did plug the drive directly into the PC (in case the USB2 hub was causing a problem).
Thanks
Tim
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: dropped frames

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:34 pm

I always capture to an internal drive.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 am

I agree. I'm not sure a USB3 would necessary resolve your situation. The throughput to an external drive simply isn't always fast enough.

So you could capture to your hard drive and then just copy the files to your external, and it should be fast enough for editing. (This works on my Mac, but when I run my Mac in Windows mode, it doesn't -- so it's worth test driving.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tjodork » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:56 am

well some good news....i bought a usb3 pci card and installed last night. My first transfer to the external usb3 drive had ZERO dropped frames. Will try the next but I'm hopeful that it will be a permanent solution since copying 27GB files from internal to external each time is a pain.

(be aware it needs a floppy drive connector plugged to it for power -which my dell core i7 did not have .... I had to cut a floppy drive power cable off of an old cable and splice it to one of the sata power cables. oh one last thing....DONT ever plug a pci card into a system that still has the power cable plugged in...even when system is off...it can cause major damage as it did on my previous Dell 8400 and could have again when I stupidly did the same thing.
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tools