They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

3rd party software to transfer MOV from iPhone to PC

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

3rd party software to transfer MOV from iPhone to PC

Postby JackGombola » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:59 am

Hi,

I'm not sure this is the right topic area, but I'm sure someone will correct me if it's not....

On the advice of Apple, I'm looking for (free) software to get my larger MOV files from my phone to my Windows XP pc.
The files don't work properly when I transfer them using the suggested methods(either I have sound and no video, or I have choppy video). I can *email* the MOV files to my pc--then they are fine. However, some are too large to email, so I need a way to transfer.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
JackGombola
New User
New User

Re: 3rd party software to transfer MOV from iPhone to PC

Postby sidd finch » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:13 pm

When you connect your iPhone to your computer via 30pin to USB you will see it connect in iTunes. If you go through your windows explorer you can dbl click on the iPhone and it opens as a drive. You can then cut and paste the files to you hard drive.

I have also noticed that after cut and paste, the files seem to play better when they are played with Windows Media Player then the quicktime player. might be just my machine...

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby JackGombola » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks, Sidd, but I've tried that already. I've tried through Explorer--that's when I get the choppy video. I've tried through iTumes, but I get error messages from iTunes and it's the most current version. The file copies 100%, but I get the error message after it sits there for a few minutes. I even took my phone to the gurus at Apple, and their advice was third party..... It's not my player either. I use VLC. And as I said, emailed files are fine.

Want to try again ?? :-)
JackGombola
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Sidd's method is the best method for getting the mp4s from your iPod/iPhone to your computer, Jack.

If your getting choppy playback, it has nothing to do with the method you're using to transfer the video. If you use Explorer to copy the video from your phone to your computer, the mp4 comes over unchanged. More likely its an error with your media player.

I assume you're playing these files with Quicktime Player, right?

If you're getting choppy playback in Quicktime Player, something is up with your computer resources. How fast is your processor? What operating system are you using?

Is this video being transferred to your computer's C drive or to another hard drive?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:33 pm

I would try playing the files on windows media player and not quicktime.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby JackGombola » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Steve,

I will test again. I'm not using Quick Time because the video, even on the emailed file was choppy with it. And, because I usually use Windows Media Player (no good with that one). However, now I'm using VLC, recommended by a friend who says if "VLC won't play it, nothing will." So when VLC plays the emailed file, it's fine. (How can we explain that the same file copied via Explorer is choppy, but plays fine when emailed...argh!)

I'm using Windows XP Home Version 2002, 5.1, SP 3.

2.80GHz (2.00 GB of RAM)

You have made me think of a couple of things I should try, though. One is a copy (Explorer) test where I have nothing else running. And I'll try opening w/Quick Time, before I try VLC.

Sidd's comment also made me think about my USB port. I think the ones in the front of my machine may be inferior to the ones in the back, and I can't remember now where I plugged in. So... I have a few things to try. I'll report back.

(But in the meantime, I'm still puzzled by the fact that an emailed file works fine and a copied one doesn't. I can also try the emailed file in Quick Time and WMV again from a start up, just to see if I have any issues.) I know that this process shouldn't be difficult--it's Apple, after all!

Thanks, both of you.

J
JackGombola
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:19 pm

You're only running 2 gigs of RAM! I would certainly recommend 4 on Windows XP. That could definitely explain the choppy playback. Depending on the speed of your processor -- which I also hope you'll provide.

I also await word on your results playing the video with Quicktime Player.

I have no idea what e-mailing a file does that makes it easier to play. It could possibly re-encode it a lower bit rate (lowering the quality) so it will be easier to mail.

It really is looking more and more like this is a hardware resource issue, Jack. But, again, we'll know for sure once we know how fast your processor is.

Though even a Pentium 4 HT running at 2.8 ghz should be powerful enough to play 1280x720 video on Quicktime Player, I would think.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JackGombola » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Sorry, I thought I had supplied the processor info, but I see perhaps I didn't give enough:

Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz

Is that what you need?

J.
JackGombola
New User
New User

Postby JackGombola » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:05 am

Reporting back:

Made sure I had most recent QuickTime before starting.

Tried a different USB port... that wasn't it.

Copied and opened the file immediately after booting (no other files running other than those at start-up). Copied the file. Opened first with QuickTime (latest version). File played choppy, as in skipping frames. Opened same file with VLC (the one that played the file I emailed perfectly). With VLC, I had all audio, but a frozen picture.

Next steps:
Try this on someone else's machine that is perhaps Windows 7, more RAM, faster... just for kicks
Download DiskAid and give it a try. DiskAid5 is supposed to be a good transfer tool for iPhone, iPod, etc. to pc/Mac.

Other thoughts welcome.

J.
JackGombola
New User
New User

Postby JackGombola » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:45 am

P.S. for Sidd--I did try playing with Windows Media Player, but it won't do an .MOV file without my converting it, and I didn't want to go there yet.
JackGombola
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:35 pm

It is quite possible a Pentium D with 2 gigs of RAM is not powerful enough to play a full-resolution high-def MP4 smoothly, Jack.

Apparently e-mailing it reduces resolution or quality to a point where it does become playable on your machine.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JackGombola » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Two more pieces of info.....

I downloaded DiskAid5 and copied my file. Had issue of sound but no video, experienced before. So much for 3rd party software (which I'm really not supposed to need anyway, right?)

I uploaded the file from my phone to youtube. It played perfectly (well, to my naked eye :-8 ). Then I downloaded it from youtube to my pc. It also played perfectly, though of course it downloaded as an mp4 file, and the size of the download was *considerably* smaller than the filesize of what I copied. (d/l = 11,107 KB, copied file = 358,038 KB)

At least there is a temporary workaround until I try the copy on a different machine.
J
JackGombola
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Just for kicks once you copy the file, have you tried importing it into iTunes and tried playing it in iTunes? Then you can at least see if it plays on the computer.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby JackGombola » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 pm

sidd finch wrote:Just for kicks once you copy the file, have you tried importing it into iTunes and tried playing it in iTunes? Then you can at least see if it plays on the computer.

Sidd

Sidd,
I'm going to be fairly literal here, just to be sure we're talking about the same thing. I have been unable to "copy" the file and have it play correctly using any player. I did upload/send it to youtube via my iPhone. Then once I saw it played there, I downloaded it to my pc, and it downloaded as an mp4. That played fine on the pc using VLC. (fine = acceptable, audio ok and not choppy like before)

I then did what you asked with the version I downloaded--I brought the file into iTunes. I could play it there as well. Logicial, because it downloaded and played on my pc outside of iTunes. The quality is not as as good as the original. I can see the compression in the leaves on trees.

Now I'm thinking that isn't what you meant. You weren't asking if I pulled the d/l copy into iTunes, were you? If you are refering to my earlier attempts to do just a straight copy to pc and import into iTunes, I did that, and it's very choppy, as with the other players (QuickTime, VLC).

One more thing of interest. I did look at the file size on my phone. It is 349MB. The file size on my pc is 358,038 KB, so it looks like the whole thing is actually coming over. (I didn't think to compare until now)

So, to my mind, I still haven't found the problem, but I'll have access to another computer in a few days. I'm interested to see what happens there.
JackGombola
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Jack at some point on this forum somebody (Maybe Steve) had a freeware that could tell all the codex's your machine had and could run...Maybe you have a codex issue that your machine is missing the right codex to play the file properly??? I am grasping at straws.

Sidd
sidd finch

Next

Return to Tools