They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Super Video Converter

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Super Video Converter

Postby Tom Brooks » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Just registered and first forum question, so I'm new but reviewed other topics without success to answer my question.

The Muvipix book (Elements 9) suggests Super Video Converter and I'm keen to convert mpeg to DV-AVI as book suggests to smooth workflow. I think I found the correct website and it prompts me to download Super(copyright symbol) but returns me to same web site. That web site invites me to download other video converters (like AVS) but not Super. I ended up downloading Super (build 49)from Videohelp web site but won't open run setup until I'm sure it is the same without setup viruses or whatever else.

Main question--is it possible to download Super from the eRight site?

Secondary question--is the build 49 version OK?

Third question--do you people still like it?
Tom Brooks
New User
New User

Re: Super Video Converter

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Welcome Tom! :wcm:

Yeah, I remember this. They make you jump through hoops to find the download link. It's kind of crazy. I don't know why they do that. There's a link at the bottom of the first page. Look for the following link:

Start Downloading SUPER ©

On the next page near the top look for the link that says:

download and use

Finally on the third page look near the bottom for the following link:

Download SUPER © setup file from our 5th dedicated server

That's the one that will get you to the actual download. Whew! :)

Since this is direct from the site it should be the latest version, from July 2011, which it says is 49. It's been a while since I've used it or any other converter so if there's a better one to use maybe someone will chime in. I suspect that it will do just fine.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Tom Brooks » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Dave, you're a nice guy and thanks for that clear and fast response. It worked. And what a great introduction to Muvipix forum. Odd thing about the site is that it effectively encourages a person to download other converter softwares instead of Super by the convoluted three steps of trial-and-error.
Tom Brooks
New User
New User

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:55 pm

Be careful with Super. It is listed as Adware and when I used it, it was constantly phoning home for something. I finally uninstalled it. There have been reports of it installing malware and Trojans by some users.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:23 am

STOIK have a free video converter that you can find here (you'll find the download link text in the fourth paragraph)

http://www.stoik.com/products/video/STO ... Converter/

For a "paid for" converter there are many choices; I use Digital Media Converter Pro which you can find here:-

http://www.deskshare.com/
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 am

Hmmmm.....well I did some digging. Apparently Super may not be what it once was. The cnet site has some recent reviews that don't speak very highly of it:

http://download.cnet.com/Super-Video-Co ... tml#rateit

Indeed, some are even calling it malware. I used it several years ago with no problems, but when I got a new computer I didn't reload it, and haven't really had a need for it, so I can't say one way or the other. You might want to consider an alternative.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:52 am

I've never experienced anything particularly malicious with Super, so I don't know if it's fair to call what it puts on your computer a trojan. Though, like most freeware, I'm sure it does some sort of phoning home. Most of it relatively harmless. Still, if there's a less malicious alternative, I'd love to learn about it.

So I'm very interested in STOIK, John! Is it easy to use? Does it work with lots of file formats? How are the results?

And the article Dave linked to recommended iWisoft Free Video Converter. I may check it out too.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:21 am

I wish I could tell you my first impressions of iWisoft Free were good ones. It is a nice looking interface and it produces nice looking video.

But no matter how I customize the output settings for DV, I get a PAL file! (I've even tried creating my own custom output preset.) Can anybody else get it to work?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:54 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:...So I'm very interested in STOIK, John! Is it easy to use? Does it work with lots of file formats? How are the results?

I find it easy to use but don't forget "your mileage might vary".

As it is free give it a whirl (remembering the usual safety measures for downloads of course. :-D )
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Tom Brooks » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:30 am

I'm thinking I may uninstall Super because I put a lot of time into putting this movie-making computer together (based on this web site's forum comments) and don't want complications with adware and trojans. For that reason, your comments on other softwares are really helpful so continue your thoughts. Free would be nice but I'm willing to pay money for something useful and peace of mind. I'm using Premier 9 on Windows 7. By the way, I'm in a PAL location so Steve's problem with iWisoft Free may not be a problem for me if it otherwise works well.
Tom Brooks
New User
New User

Postby Tom Brooks » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:01 am

This is a warning to others using Super Video Converter, build 49. I regularly run checks for virus, adwares, malwares, etc. I last ran Malwaregyes on Sunday and loaded Super Video Converter on Monday. After reading this forum's comments, I ran a scan with Malwarebytes and found adware now loaded on my computer and I followed the checker's instructions to remove it. I'm now going to run my virus and other checkers but wish this hadn't happened but glad I caught it early and promptly un-installed it. Small remaining worry is that eRight left files that I'm unable to delete but hope they are harmless relics.
Tom Brooks
New User
New User

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:55 pm

I told you so. :pull:
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Well that's a little scary. Thanks for the feedback Tom.

Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:11 am

Tom Brooks wrote:Small remaining worry is that eRight left files that I'm unable to delete but hope they are harmless relics.

Try Revo uninstaller to remove those left overs. They offer a thirty day trial.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

....or Your Uninstaller:

http://www.ursoftware.com/
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Tom Brooks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks for that John and others. On the plus side, I'm wiser--and that is a good thing.
Tom Brooks
New User
New User

Return to Tools