They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Xrite easy color

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Re: Xrite easy color

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:31 pm

The settings look fine assuming the selected printer profile is correct. Did you click on the print settings button and turn off color management in the printer settings? It needs to be set to off when Photoshop is managing the colors. The printer color management settings should only be set to one of the other color management options if the printer is managing the colors.

It's OK to let the printer manage the colors. Especially if you don't have a custom profile or the ones supplied with the printer are not a good match. But, you should be able to get the best results with a custom profile and Photoshop managing the colors. You'll need a custom profile for each type of paper and resolution you use with that printer.

I haven't used the Monaco EZColor software, so I'm not familiar with the details. But, this class of software typically works by first using the included IT8 target to calibrate the scanner. The printer is then calibrated by printing an image of the target and then scanning the print to see how the colors changed.

When printing the image of the target, color management must be off in the printer and the print application. Photoshop used to have a setting to turn off color management of the print for this purpose, but that has been removed in Photoshop CS5. Adobe recommends saving the image as a tiff and printing the target using a print utility they supply. You can get it here: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/no-color-management-option-missing.html
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Yes, in the print settings box it is set to ICM and checked box the no color management. I chose bright white & best photo under the tabs too. But, in PS the paper options are Epson Standard or Matte or several Glossy paper options. I tried the Standard & the Matte with the same results.

I took the PS file to a big box office store and had it printed out. The color matches what I see on my monitor and you can clearly see the difference between their printed version and mine. I am assuming that the monitor profile I created is good and the printer is off. Fair assumption? (I have decided to have them print out the invite cards...40% off coupon and is very reasonable.)

For my graphics...DVD inserts for example...I am using a bright white paper...inkjet premium 98 bright 24lb.

I am calibrating the printer today and have printed out the target via Monaco EZ Color program. It is still drying in a dark closet. There is an option to save as a TIFF like you posted, but thought I would try this way first. I did turn off color mgmt. in the printer first.

I did find this pdf about color mgmt & Artisan 835.
ftp://ftp.epson.com/webfiles/icc/Color- ... rkflow.pdf

It does state that if too dark or unusual green cast, etc. that either color mgmt wasn't turned off for the printer. Which I did turn it off. But, there is an important note in the body of the pdf. that paper settings need to be the same in the print dialog box & PS. Maybe I need to create a printer profile that is set to Bright White paper? The only options in PS for the printer are Matte & Standard.

One other thing I noticed is that in the PS Print window, under the preview there is an option to "Show Paper White". When I select this the color changes to grayish or slight blueish depending on the document to print. Is this showing a problem?

Thanks! :) Appreciate your time in walking me through this.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Calibrated the printer/scanner all in one. The print out looks better. Still not as vibrant as the one printed at the big box store. The Monaco Color program said to scan at 200 dpi, but the pdf link I posted from Epson said to scan in the rez that you will be printing. Too many variables. ](*,)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:35 am

I am assuming that the monitor profile I created is good and the printer is off. Fair assumption?

That's a reasonable assumption given that the print matches your monitor image.

...in the PS Print window, under the preview there is an option to "Show Paper White". When I select this the color changes to grayish or slight blueish depending on the document to print. Is this showing a problem?

The options under the preview do not affect the print. The CS5 preview window is color managed and those options are a form of proofing to help visualize what the print will look like. They are only active when Photoshop manages the colors and will use the selected printer profile if "Match Print Colors" is selected. The "show paper white" takes the white point from the profile and applies it to simulate the effect of the print paper. It's normally used when printing on something that is decidedly off white, such as newsprint, or colored paper. It's only valid if the profile was made for that specific paper and the white point is contained in the profile. What you're seeing is not necessarily a problem. It's likely a case of the profile not matching the paper.

You need a separate printer profile for each combination of Printer, Ink, Paper, and print resolution.

The Monaco Color program said to scan at 200 dpi, but the pdf link I posted from Epson said to scan in the rez that you will be printing

I'm not familiar with the Monaco documentation. The profile can change slightly with the dpi of the print so you normally would print the calibration target at the resolution you would normally use for printing. I'm guessing that the 200dpi resolution they are talking about is the scanner resolution used to scan the print.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:13 am

Bob wrote:I'm not familiar with the Monaco documentation. The profile can change slightly with the dpi of the print so you normally would print the calibration target at the resolution you would normally use for printing. I'm guessing that the 200dpi resolution they are talking about is the scanner resolution used to scan the print.

That makes perfect sense, thanks! I'll give it another go next week. Burned out a bit now.

And thanks for answering all of the other questions too, much appreciated. :-D
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:54 am

Yes, thanks from me too, Bob. The details that you have supplied here have helped me a lot as well. :tx:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Add my thanks to the list as well :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to Tools