They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Bezier tutorials

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Bezier tutorials

Postby mikecox » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:52 pm

I am looking for tutorials on Bezier Curves. I have Steve's book "...Guide to PrE 14" but there is little there on the subject. I watched several Lynda videos that he has done and, again, found nothing on the subject.

I know PrE has the feature, I've actually located the handles, although they are very difficult to spot if you don't know what you're looking for, and I've manipulated them but I don't know what I'm doing; although I've used the Pen tool in Ps. I also have problems with the right click keyframe options and how I should use them as well.

I am mostly interested in using them in pan and zoom slide show, projects.

I'm also wondering about upgrading to V15. Is bezier easier in that version?
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bezier tutorials

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:38 am

Have you checked out "Advanced Keyframing (Part 1)"? This tutorial shows you how to use both spacial and temporal interpolation.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

There's not a lot of deep discussion on using Beziers because, well, there's not a lot of interest in going that deep. But I certainly agree with you that grabbing Bezier handles is a bit of a challenge in Premiere Elements. I wish I could tell you there's a trick to grabbing and using them. But, as you can see in this tutorial, even I have trouble finding them and getting them to move right.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:36 am

For me the Bezier Curves are difficult to use. I normally create my key-frames then attempt the curves but it is always really time consuming.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby mikecox » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks Steve,

I do remember watching a video where you demonstrated Bezier curves, several years ago, when I was more involves with video and was a subscriber, and I remember that you too had difficulty finding those handles. But since then I've been very focused on still photography and have only returned to PrE to create slide shows for a client who has asked for them.

I would really like to produce something with images that arch and glide smoothly into place and then move, gently, in and out. I guess I'm just going to have to do my best with those handles, or upgrade to Pro, though that's a very expensive open and not something CC offers with the Lr Ps package. I would consider upgrading to v15 though if that would address this issue.

It would help if I could find a clear definition of those rt click keyframe drop-down options, like Bezier and Auto Bezier, and the Interpolation options, etc.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Mike,

Not sure if you are aware but once you have that curve completed to the way you like it you can copy and paste that curve on to as many clips or pictures as you like.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:32 am

mikecox wrote:
I would really like to produce something with images that arch and glide smoothly into place and then move, gently, in and out. I guess I'm just going to have to do my best with those handles, or upgrade to Pro, though that's a very expensive open and not something CC offers with the Lr Ps package. I would consider upgrading to v15 though if that would address this issue.

You could do that with an older version of After Effects. Older versions can probably be found pretty cheap and the basics are not too hard to learn.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:33 am

mikecox wrote:It would help if I could find a clear definition of those rt click keyframe drop-down options, like Bezier and Auto Bezier, and the Interpolation options, etc.

This might help a bit

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/us ... frame.html
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:37 am

It would help if I could find a clear definition of those rt click keyframe drop-down options, like Bezier and Auto Bezier, and the Interpolation options, etc.

When you create keyframes, you are specifying specific values for specific properties at specific points in time (i.e. frames). As the video advances frame by frame from one keyframe to the next, the value of these keyframed properties must be calculated for each individual intermediate frame. This process is called interpolation and Premiere Elements recognizes two different types: Spatial and temporal.

Spatial Interpolation affects how objects move through space and mainly applies to Motion properties. A common use of Spatial Interpolation is to determine the path that an object such as an image will follow through the frame.

Temporal Interpolation, on the other hand, affects the rate at which properties change through time. By default, Temporal Interpolation is linear. That is, the properties change uniformly from frame to frame. But, by switching to a Bezier method, you can slow down or speed up the rate of change for the property. This is how you Ease Out of one key frame and Ease In to the next. In fact, this usage is so common, Premiere Elements provides an "Ease Out" and "Ease In" method under the Temporal Interpolation category. Premiere Elements also provides a special method under Temporal Interpolation called "Hold". Hold effectively turns off interpolation for that property and the value remains constant until the next keyframe and then the value will instantly change to that specified in that keyframe.

Both Temporal and Spatial Interpolation support the following methods: Linear, Bezier, Auto Bezier, and Continuous Bezier.

Linear: We've already mentioned that linear means that the values of the keyframed properties change at a uniform rate. For Spatial Interpolation, this means the object will move in straight lines. For Temporal Interpolation, the values will not accelerate or decelerate in the interval between keyframes.

Bezier: When you select one of the Bezier methods, instead of a straight line, Premiere Elements will interpolate the intermediate values using a Bezier curve. The shape of the curve is determined by the value of the keyframes at each end of the curve and the size and position of the Bezier handles. Spatial Interpolation using Bezier methods is used to create curved paths. Temporal Interpolation using Bezier methods is used to speed up or slow down the rate of change of the keyframed properties. Premiere Elements provides three variations of the Bezier method that you can use. Bezier is the most flexible as each handle can be adjusted individually which give you great control over the way the intermediate values are interpolated -- both the shape of the curve and the rate of change can be different on each side of the keyframe and the transition does not have to be uniform. Auto Bezier and Continuous Bezier are special cases of the more general Bezier Method which provide for a uniform transition across the keyframe. Auto Bezier is the least flexible as you have no control over the handles. With Auto Bezier, Elements will adjust the curve automatically to provide a uniform transition across the keyframe -- you cannot adjust the handles manually. Continuous Bezier is similar to Auto Bezier but lets you adjust direction handles manually. As you change the shape of the curve on one side of the keyframe, the shape on the other side of the keyframe changes automatically to maintain a smooth transition
Bob

Postby Peru » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:26 pm

That was a very thorough explanation, Bob. :tup:
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:47 pm

:SS: :land: SUPER BOB :SH: :SS:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:14 am

Super Bob indeed.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:57 pm

:TU:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:58 am

Chuck Engels wrote:
mikecox wrote:It would help if I could find a clear definition of those rt click keyframe drop-down options, like Bezier and Auto Bezier, and the Interpolation options, etc.

This might help a bit

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/us ... frame.html
Thanks for the link Chuck, very helpfull!
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mikecox » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:11 am

Thanks for this great explanation Bob! :TU:

I have pasted the entire note into "EverNote" so I can refer to it whenever I need to brush up.

Thanks
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mikecox » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:00 pm

It appears that I have to set the ease in/out options for each keyframe I set. I want all my movements to be eased in and out. Is there a shortcut that i can use to set the ease options, so I don't have to right click the keyframe and set the ease option from the drop-down menu each time I place a keyframe?

Also, I understand that I can save a Bezier curve I've worked out as a pre-set. How do I do that?
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 14