They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pre14 video editor crashing on startup

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Pre14 video editor crashing on startup

Postby don731 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:16 am

I've been using Pre14 video editor like crazy for the last few days with no issues whatsoever. Today, when I launch 14, and click on the video editor to open, it tries to open (a small icon appears in my dock) and then immediately closes. The photo editor and organizer both open fine. No changes to my system since yesterday, when I was using the video editor! On a 2015 MBP fully tricked out! I've restarted my system, etc.

Thanks!

Don in Chicago
don731

Re: Pre14 video editor crashing on startup

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:53 am

What operating system are you using? Microsoft issued some major patches yesterday. If you didn't get them, you should.

(By the way, a number of us add our computer and camcorder specs to our signature, as I have. That can be very helpful when you have questions so we don't have to keep asking you for them. ;) )

What processor do you have and with how much RAM? How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

Have you tried uninstalling the program (removing preferences) and reinstalling it? You won't lose any work in progress, but doing this can remove some corruptions that may have crept in. Especially if, in between uninstalling and reinstalling, you run CCleaner to clean out your registry.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby don731 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:02 am

Steve,

I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it (I always keep the dmg file!). Seems to be working okay now. I am madly exporting all the videos I created this week to mp4s so I have a workable copy if I need to transition to iMovie. My 2015 MacBook Pro (current version) is an I7 with 16GB RAM, and over 300GB SSD hard drive space. Using Sierra with all updates installed. All PE updates installed. Original file formats vary, and were shot by many different cameras. Collected from a fan group I belong to. PE user for some years now, never had any version refuse to open. I used PE14 for about 6 hours straight yesterday without a hiccup!

Cheers,
Don
don731

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:21 am

I don't know what would cause that, Don. (Well, Sierra is still an unknown quantity, but we should be able to assume it's not the fly in this ointment.)

If you told me your project with lots of different formats was causing problems, I'd be interested in digging deeper. But if you can't even launch the program (and you've tried launching while holding down Cmd+Option+Shift as the program starts up) I don't know what's going on.

Unless it's Sierra...

Unfortunately my Mac isn't able to install Sierra, so I can't test it myself.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 14