They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Creating a Menu

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Creating a Menu

Postby AVITRY » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:25 am

Hi guys .. I'm sorry to be such a dummy. I really begin to think it's my age that has zipped my brain closed. I think when I get a concept that I think is so basic, I won't believe it can't be done and I spend hours trying to figure out how to do it when in fact, it may not even be possible.

Please let me run this by you and see if it's something I can accomplish. I have to do this same kind of thing over and over for many projects. These are all DVD burns of video.

I'm simply trying to capture a still frame of my completed video. I found the freeze frame option in the tools menu. Next I want to put text over it, and finally, insert some kind of button that prompts "start the video" that a TV remote would trigger for playback.

I would like this menu screen to remain until the start button is pushed on the TV remote control. If It can't be left on the screen indefinitely, then at least for a while before the video starts.

Ultimately I would like to overlay some additional graphics over the still image I froze. If I could adjust the opacity of these overlaid graphics all the better.

Aside from the thought of additional graphics, can I make a still frame the opening menu screen with customized text, like arched text .. different colors and then .. as I mentioned, that "PLAY" or "START" button.

Even if I had to create this entire jpeg (or whatever format is needed) In Photoshop, I fear there is STILL no way to bring it into APE 14 as a menu and then add the "PLAY" button.

Seems such a basic thing to want to accomplish that I wouldn't think a standalone authoring software would be required. ( I am weaning off my no longer compatible DVD Workshop which is killing me. ) :(

***edit ... I know so little about what to do that I'm not even sure I'm asking this correctly, but, Can creating a title using the titler in APE be turned into a menu?

Thanks as always for your help,

joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Creating a Menu

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:18 pm

Joe, this can be done in Premiere Elements in most of the Movie Menu templates, although I can't say for sure that it's available in all. Once you've captured and exported the still frame that you want to use, open it in Photoshop and make any additions or changes. Back in PrEl go to Tools (at the bottom) > Movie Menu, then choose the menu theme that you want to use and click on continue. Under Menu Background, Video or Still, click on Browse and browse to your saved still that you created in Photoshop. Here's an example of a before and after using the Outdoor Adventure template and a photo of my own:

Before.jpg

After.jpg

Note that if you just want to use a still frame without further editing you can by pass the Photoshop step and just select the still frame directly from the PrEl Menu Background options.

Double-clicking on the title (Outdoor Adventure in this example) or the Play Movie text will allow you to edit and format the text to your preferences:

Title Edited.jpg

The Scene Selection options are determined by placing the appropriate markers in your timeline. Do you have any of Steve's PrEl books on recent PrEl versions? All of the versions in the past few years work in basically the same way for making menus and he describes all of this in detail. Is this basically what you had in mind? Once you get into the process if you have more specific questions you know where to find us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby AVITRY » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave. I played a little with adding the background image I obtained from the freeze frame option in APE14 and I was able to get the basic idea to work, although I had to drag the submenu or subtitle text off the screen in the share module of APE as it wouldn't delete even after I right clicked on it to edit the text box by removing the words.

I think I will play with the photoshop editor to get something closer to what I actually have been used to making. Photoshop will be a learning curve in itself which I was trying to avoid > LOL,

I hate to have to install XP mode just to run DVDWS.

I have Steve's book on version 2 of APE. I'm going to pick up the newer one. I learn so much better by seeing. I was going to subscribe to Lynda.com but, its a bit expensive. Maybe I'll get one month and watch the whole thing with my wife and make her tell me what I watched. :ha:

I have DVD Architect Studio also, but alas ... I guess too stupid to use that either .... :conf: I couldn't make that dedicated program add buttons and change opacity on overlay videos for my menu page. Shoot, as I remember, I couldn't even remove the picture box in the menu or manipulate text.

I'm certainly not what anyone would call a video editor. What I do is so redundant and elementary, in converting those VHS tapes, but with so much of it to do ... I don't really have time to get involved more deeply with APE, though I'd love to.

Basically I convert the tapes with that Canopus 300, bring it into APE, duplicate the audio track, add the swap channel effect to one of the tracks like Chuck showed me, which makes full mono on both channels, and then encode it. I used to bring the re-encoded single clip into DVDWS for the menu page, which anyone could work with and burn the master DVD. then repeat ... over and over. Now with this newer i7 and windows 7, I have to find another way to quickly create these menus.

It's so frustrating to me because I've tried at least 3 trial versions of stand alone authoring programs and they all just seem to limit what I consider the most basic concept for making a menu page.

I think once I get the process down with photoshop, I'll be ok. I really do appreciate all the help I get here. You guys are all great! Thanks MUCH!

joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:23 pm

AVITRY wrote: I was going to subscribe to Lynda.com but, its a bit expensive. Maybe I'll get one month and watch the whole thing with my wife and make her tell me what I watched.

If you get the premium subscription, you can download and save the tutorials and watch them offline.

...but Steve's book would still be a good idea. ;)
Peru

Postby AVITRY » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Oh wow .. thanks, I'm going to do that. I'm getting Steve's book as well.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby AVITRY » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Oh well .... You can't download for off line viewing on Lynda.com with the premium subscription unless you opt for the entire year up front. Makes sense though ... I'd be up 24/7, all month long, with bloodshot eyes downloading everything that didn't move.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Peru » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:14 pm

AVITRY wrote:Makes sense though ... I'd be up 24/7, all month long, with bloodshot eyes downloading everything that didn't move.

:ha: :hyst:
Peru

Return to PRE Version 14