They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

iphone portrait mode output

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

iphone portrait mode output

Postby johnutah@xmission.com » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Simple question (hopefully a simple answer!)...
How do I edit and output a video shot in portrait mode on an iphone 6s so that the output is in portrait mode (no black on the sides).
Someone must know how to do this, or a workaround, something...
Thanks
johnutah@xmission.com
New User
New User

Re: iphone portrait mode output

Postby johnutah@xmission.com » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:32 pm

BTW, I am using Mac Premiere Elements 14
johnutah@xmission.com
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:29 pm

:meet: Welcome to Muvipix!

I'm sorry that I can't help, as I use Premiere Pro, not Premiere Elements, but hang in there. A Premiere Elements expert will be along to help you. I'm sure that somebody will find a simple solution for you.
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:31 pm

CyberLink PowerDirector 15 has the option to edit and output your video in 9:16 rather than traditional 16:9.

Though more and more videomakers are joining the cry to "Turn your phone sideways!" Especially local news programmers, who go nuts when someone sends them a 9:16 phone video. Not only does it look awful on a TV but you can't see any context for the scene! Our eyes naturally perceive with peripheral vision left and right, not up and done. So it's also very unnatural.

Turning your phone sideways gives you a nice 16:9 video that will edit in any current video program.

But, if you insist on shooting 9:16, then PowerDirector 15 is the way to go. It's the only consumer program I'm aware of that has that project preset built right into it.

EDIT
Oops. I see you're on a Mac, which is kind of a mitigating factor. PowerDirector is a PC-based program. So unless iMovie edits this type of video, I don't know what program to recommend.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby johnutah@xmission.com » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Thanks Steve.
It turns out that there are numerous web-based "apps" and others - so there seems to be a driving need (and here I thought I was so special...).
I used a freebie - it worked perfectly taking iphone video shot in portrait, which I then used Quicktime to rotate to landscape, which I edited on PE14 on its side (or on my side) then back to portrait for iphone viewing. Whew
The only negative here is that it would only work with files < 16mb - which was fine for my purposes. I assume some of the others that you install would have no size restrictions
http://www.rotatevideo.org/
johnutah@xmission.com
New User
New User

Postby johnutah@xmission.com » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:04 pm

Oh BTW, your Premiere 14 manual arrives today - I did everything I could to avoid buying it, but it became a need...
John
johnutah@xmission.com
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:49 pm

Always happy to meet a need, John! ;)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:06 am

Welcome John to Muvipix! You may want to change your user name and not use your email addy. :wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:52 pm

Portrait video is becoming much more common thanks to the widespread use of mobile phones. It's not just content filmed by users either. Vertical video is the normal mode for many mobile apps and advertisers are finding that more ads are watched when produced in vertical format. Vertical video is here to stay. I expect that all consumer editing applications will eventually support vertical video.

I'm still using Premiere Pro CS6. And, while that version doesn't come with built-in presets for vertical video, you can easily create custom vertical video presets for sequences and export. Premiere Elements doesn't have that capability.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:27 pm

I've been trying to break my daughter of video in portrait mode. She and her family went on a Disney trip and shot a bunch of cell phone video for me to edit. It was in landscape mode, but all of it is upside down. She is left handed and rotated the phone opposite of a right hand person. I was able to easily flip in post, but made reviewing all of the footage upside down tedious.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:07 pm

I can see that happening. :)

Maybe it's my age, but I don't care for vertical video. My phone is not my primary playback device and vertical video looks terrible on my monitor or hdtv -- I've never cared for pillar boxing. I can see vertical video for some experimental stuff though -- triptych anyone. But, I can understand how millennials and younger can become very accustomed to it. Now, if I were producing content for mobile devices, it would of necessity be a mainstay of my work. But, I'm not. :-D Besides, there is a reason cinema goes for wide screen with even wider frame aspect ratios than 16:9.

I just had a thought: Imagine how many more screens you could get in a Cineplex using vertical video. Imagine using pan and scan to convert Cinemascope and other widescreen formats for vertical projection. There's a business opportunity for you. :ha:
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:31 pm

I had a relative give me a video of a racetrack race once that was vertical video. Of all the things that should never have been done vertically that was it. It was so hard biting my tongue. I wanted to have a serious chat with her but decided to keep peace in the family.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to PRE Version 14